Shopping Day in Kelowna


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Kelowna » Big White
November 28th 2007
Published: November 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

What a day... It started with a power cut! At first we thought it was just Mike and Claires' house, but Oh no, it was the whole of Big White - after many calls (none answered) we finally got through to a very kind man who explained that a lorry had hit the electricity pylon which had cause the whole of Big Whites power to fail and it would take 6 hours to repair. Not one to miss out on a shopping trip I checked that we were able to get into Kelowna, and Yes we could we only had to make a short detour (that should be fun considering our fuel gauge read LOW FUEL). Any how, we got ready and off we set to town - Claire's getting good at this driving lark. We took it steady due to fuel consumption and of course the weather... Much to our relief we made it to the petrol station or gas station as it's called here. Should have been simple to put gas in the car... but no, not for us, we had no idea what we had to do, so like dumb and dumber (Claire’s dumb and I (Tania) am dumber in case any of you wondered) we asked for help - things are so simple once you know how.

We arrived in Kelowna and went to the furniture store, it's huge and very reasonably priced, Claire found a new sofa for the house but like most ladies, we decided to go to every other shop and then ended up going back to the first one (LOL).

Lunch time - ummm! I had a fantastic lunch of Japanese - tofu, rice, noodles and steam veg with extra mushrooms and guess what? It only cost $6.99 (£3.50 ish), Claire opted for KFC!!! I know, we come all the way to Canada and she wants food we can get in Isle of Man - bless. We both enjoyed it. For those of you who know Bluewater, this shopping centre was very similar. All fuelled up and ready to go we hit the shops again, much to my surprise Claire hates shopping especially in department stores, unfortunate really, as that's where we needed to go... we went from shop to shop and of course into shops we didn't need to go in so got way laid, but hey, we are on holiday. Claire found bits for the house and I managed to buy a new dress for our work Christmas party. Also bought 3 ski outfits for the kids which included pants, jacket, gloves, scarf and hat for under $300, what a bargain.

We began to get tired so we headed off to Starbucks to have tea and cake - Claire says I'm a pig as I had a bigger piece of cake than her! So for those of you who don't think I eat, think again... ask Claire x

Back to shopping for last few bits. I found beautiful dresses for the girls for the wedding but could I get 2 in the same size - NO! So, I guess they weren't meant to have them, I even tried online when we got home - but no luck. Claire was getting tired by now, of course she'd missed her little naplet and had thought she had to drive back to Big White in the dark... so off we set... OMG it's snowing! That means driving back to Big White in real falling snow - scary stuff but Claire managed it very well. All we hoped was that when we did arrive back the power was back on. We later found out that it was, but it had only come back on 10 mins or so before we arrived back. Good job we went to Kelowna for the day, otherwise we could have frozen to death... You have to laugh, not only is Big White not open and they've had a power cut all day, now in the evening when we wanted to go out for a meal not one of the restaurants are open, so, we settled for tinned soup, lucky us... actually it was very nice .

We'd quite literally shopped until we dropped so we're both very tired. At 9.45pm we set off to bed...ZZzzzz we couldn't keep our little eyes open any longer x


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb