cycle kayak Gabriola


Advertisement
Published: September 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Galiano Island Adventure



Following my glutenous trip to Vegas it was time to get back to being one with nature and spend some of my holiday time with my man (and some other couples..) It started on a Saturday morning, where I was pretty ill, perhaps down to the dread of cycling. I had borrowed a bike, which was amazing, but perhaps more of a cruiser than an adventure taking mode of transport. We took the bus to horseshoe bay from downtown vancouver. The benefit of cycling is that you get first on the ferry and you don't have to book in advance. Ferrys to the island on a long weekend are booked up early.

Once we got to Nanaimo, we had to cycle to another ferry terminal to get the ferry to Gabriola. I had been to Nanaimo before but didn't realise how nice the sea wall was. Lovely views, boats, cafes and a very nice area to stroll around, full of people enjoying the sun. We then got another small ferry across to Gabriola and from there it was a short cycle to our campsite. The people who owned the campsite were friendly and helpful. Surprisingly enough though the campsite was pretty quiet for the main long weekend of the summer.

The first day we go there we cycled to a remote little swimming area. The island is full of flat sandstone, ideal for sunbathing and swimming. We cycled to a bar and had some food and drinks that evening, and then early to bed. The next morning the campsite owner drove us to the other side of the island, where he rents out a number of kayaks. We kayaked around some of the smaller islands. A lot of fun, but some fairly rough spots, but

Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb