Viscous little wolverine


Advertisement
Published: March 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

An early morning dash by Scott behind the wheels of the Campervan saw us make the early ferry across Upper Arrow Lake. It was a scenic crossing, we stood looking out ... at one with nature. Ah ha ha, cheeeeeeese.

To stretch the legs we got out at the Glacier National Park museum near Mount Revelstoke. It was quite interesting, they had stuffed animals, so I saw what a Wolverine looks like. I bet it would surprise you if you saw one. They are quite small viscous looking things. If anyone has seen a movie with a bear in it, I bet the actors climbed up the tree to escape it. This is always what I had envisioned doing if I was confronted. That is until I watched the safety video on bears. Let me tell you, they can climb trees, FAST! It is only the large grizzlies that would struggle to climb trees. The video advised to put your arms out in order to look as big and menacing as possible and make a lot of noise to try and scare them off. My friend Rick still thinks the best idea is to try and run at them and pull out a huge side step, giving you a good head start in escaping, I would pay money to watch that. Personally, I think the best idea is to always make sure you’re with people that are slower than you.

Later in the afternoon we stopped at a natural bridge which has been formed over thousands of years, the water was flying underneath, it was pretty awesome to get up close and listen to the surging water. You wouldn’t want to fall in, that’s for sure. Next up was Takkakaw falls, that’s a lot of k’s and a’s. It’s 250 metres high and I think is Canada’s second biggest, that could be completely wrong, sounds good though.

Turquoise coloured Lake Louise was where we spent the afternoon. The colour is fantastic, especially when the sun is out. The last time Nicola was in Canada it was totally covered in ice and snow, for me that was hard to imagine. The lake is pretty popular and the huge hotel that looks out over it was packed with tourists from all over. It will be interesting to see it in winter.

That night we stayed in a campground just outside of Banff. More marshmallows, dominos and general relaxing around the fire ensued. We even spotted an owl in one of the nearby trees watching over us.

(Most of the photos for this day have been added to the previous day’s entry, so check out those photos, especially of the natural bridge)


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb