Canada-Dawson Creek and Chetwynd


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Chetwynd
June 23rd 2011
Published: June 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Mile 0 MarkerMile 0 MarkerMile 0 Marker

Start of the Alcan Highway
Connected with friends Ross and Linda Johnson, Mike McWilliams and Jack Hoskyn in Dawson Creek, BC after driving the short distance from Grande Prairie. Spent the first evening catching up on their sightseeing and ours and comparing notes. Yesterday, we went to the "Mile 0" start of the Alcan Highway for photo ops and sauntered around town. Watched a movie about the building of the Alaska Highway and the hardships endured to get it done in time to help secure Canada and the USA during WWI.

Today, a side trip to Chetwynd, home of the International Chainsaw Carving Championship, held the 2nd week-end each June. Sure wish we could have watched the actual carving of these logs. There are 12 teams consisting of a lead carver and an assistant from all over the world. Total carving time for each Western Red Cedar log (3'-4' in diameter and 7'-8' tall) is 35 hours. The town of Chetwynd had 112 carvings around town. Thankfully, I am not posting a picture of every carving, but they were amazing.

Tomorrow, we start on the highway......... sans scooter!!! Oh, I think I forgot to mention that we left the scooter in Calgary with Scott.
Our CaravanOur CaravanOur Caravan

The Johnson's Papa Bear RV flanked by Mama Bear and Baby Bear
Seems we figured out that the RV is better to take sightseeing than the scooter (it had only been off the trailer once in 1900 miles) Who's laughing?


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Ross and LindaRoss and Linda
Ross and Linda

It's always 5:00 somewhere!
JackJack
Jack

Jack and Mike are growing beards to become mountain men.
Linda and JimLinda and Jim
Linda and Jim

Don't all Texans have jalapenos at Happy Hour?
SunsetSunset
Sunset

This photo was taken at 10:30 pm - dusk. As we move west, we will be in the land of the midnight sun.
Mile 0 MarkerMile 0 Marker
Mile 0 Marker

This is one of the original Mile 0 markers that has been moved downtown.
Downtown MuralsDowntown Murals
Downtown Murals

Linda found a moose!
Downtown MuralsDowntown Murals
Downtown Murals

Ross meets another Ford dealer.
Downtown MuralsDowntown Murals
Downtown Murals

The painters were very talented.
Royal Canadian Mounted PoliceRoyal Canadian Mounted Police
Royal Canadian Mounted Police

The nice guys were posing with everyone who stopped.


Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb