Alberta and beyond


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta
July 21st 2008
Published: July 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Lake LouiseLake LouiseLake Louise

Sorry were blocking your view but it really is worth checking out. Beautiful!
As we entered into Alberta we were surrounded by mountains that slowly gave way to foothills and big open fields with canola flowers. Seas of bright yellow spread for miles! Just before that though we stopped at Lake Louise and got the classic shot of us at the lake that was surrounded with more tourists than one could imagine just to look at a blue lake. It was beautiful don't get me wrong. There was snow still in the mountains and a chill of winter still left in the air as the sun shone upon us. I wished I grabbed my sweater from the car. Oh well I toughed it out. Alex did a great shot of the two of us using the arm trick. He is quite the master at it.

Drumheller was a blast the whole town really gets into it with dinosaurs everywhere. The Royal Tyrell Museum and the Hoodoos are a must see. We had fun tromping around in the mud with four pound shoes as we viewed the hoodoos. Quite spectacular!
Rain rain go away come on back another day. It was wet camping and trying to cook breakfast on an open fire but
Lunch anyoneLunch anyoneLunch anyone

This was our vista as we stopped for lunch. Fields upon fields of canola
we didn't let that dampen our spirits.

Next we were off to Saskatchewan to visit my friend Deavah and to see her new place since she moved from Vancouver to Central Butte, Saskatchewan . Along the way we came across the " Walk for Justice". The First Nations group is walking from Vancouver to Ottawa. On the 16th they were just before Swift Current and all in good spirits. They have a date set to arrive in Ottawa by September 12 to talk about change. We gave them hugs and granola bars, chatted for a few and we were off again. Central Butte is a cozy little town tucked away in the middle of open meadows and flat ground. Okay I know there are lots of jokes about how flat Saskatchewan is and it's true you can see for miles and miles. The driving kind of lulls you to sleep I couldn't imagine winter. At least right now it's lush and colorful. None the less the heart of the prairies shows through in the people with their warmth and friendliness. Alex had quite the adventure and got to drive a Kensworth semi truck. He kept it straight like a natural who had already been driving for a bit. Now he wants to drive anything he can. Anyone need their lawn mowed?

We left Deavah and Bill and headed straight to my sister's house in Manitoba and have enjoyed the past few days here. My sister is amazing! She can get so much done in a day before I even roll out of bed at 8:30 am. Saturday she invited a bunch of family over and we caught up on what everyone was up to these days. I loved connecting with my cousins and talking up a storm. I wish they lived closer. On sunday we headed out to Austin and got to see farming equipment that was over a 100 years old. The kids even got to go for a tractor ride on one of the old relics. It was fun.

Today was about relaxing, laundry and packing because tomorrow we hit the road again and hope to land in Ontario before the day is done. Hope you are all keeping well and Alex and I send our love.
Cheers
Jeannie




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Watch out momWatch out mom
Watch out mom

"Watchout mom it is super slippery right there" exclaimed Alex. It's true it was slick more than right there and it was the kind of mud that just kept sticking to your shoes!
Dinosaur around townDinosaur around town
Dinosaur around town

this thing was huge
SkeletonSkeleton
Skeleton

Skeleton in plaster to preserve it and make it transportable. Not sure what kind.
Dancing anyone?Dancing anyone?
Dancing anyone?

He is not your average dino. Check out this dip he is quite the dancer!
World's Largest TeepeeWorld's Largest Teepee
World's Largest Teepee

World's largest teepee in Medicine Hat
I drove this Kensworth!I drove this Kensworth!
I drove this Kensworth!

Yup it's true see this truck behind me, I drove it!


Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb