Jasper


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta
June 6th 2018
Published: June 7th 2018
Edit Blog Post

After another delicious Canadian breakfast we set of for Maligne Canyon. This is a steep narrow gorge which has been shaped by the river Maligne running through it. Six footbridges span this canyon, starting with the 1st bridge at the top - the usual imaginative Canadian naming. We decided to start at the fifth bridge and walk up to the 1st. Once again we were treated to amazing views of the river rushing through the tremendously high canyon walls and although there are no waterfalls, the power of the water flow was evident. We returned along a slightly higher route, which was worthwhile for the very different views.

We continued our drive along the Maligne Lake road stopping next at Medicine Lake, which is a lake whose water level varies depending on the time of year. It is quite high now and looks like most lakes, but in winter it is a small stream or puddle. This is because in winter the water is draining from it much quicker than it is flowing into it and vice versa in summer. The vegetation here was completely burnt, following a devasting fire caused by a lightening strike. Our host here had told us at breakfast about the bald eagle's nest here, that had just managed to survive the raging fire, complete with 1 little chick in residence. The same nest could be seen today and we could see 2 chicks and mum, with the aid of our binoculars.

As we continued along the road yet another bear jam was ahead. We are now well schooled in bear jam etiquette and this was our closest encounter so far, with the bear just below the road. Very soon after this another bear jam, this one further away up a bank beside the road.

We eventually reached Malinge Lake, which is yet another iconic Canadian view. It is beautiful, but very busy and rather too many midges around for comfort. We enquired about the cruise on the Lake here, but there were no vacancies this afternoon, so we did a short hike to Moose Lake. A singular lack of Mooses here and we faired no better at our next hike destination, Beaver Lake - no beavers either! Here we had to cross a stream with stepping stones of wood, of course, aided by 2 tree branch walking sticks left nearby.

We returned back to Jasper but not without yet another bear sighting. We are getting a little tired of seeing bears - can not believe we are saying that, although a grizzly bear would be good. We would just love to see a moose or elk. Never mind tomorrow could be the day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.475s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0937s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb