Tanning in Canmore...


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Canmore
September 28th 2006
Published: September 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

So, after a few rainy days, we are now in super-sunny Canmore! It's T-shirt weather and we are going to try and climb tomorrow, if this gorgeous weather holds...

We've been staying in hostels in Winnipeg, Regina and Waterton Lakes, so we are clean, fed and all whirl-pooled (after a very fast-paced hike to Crypt Lake yeasterday, we ended up stopping at the Waterton Lakes Health Club for some whirl pool action. Leaving us limber and loose for the drive to Canmore)....

The drvie from Winnipeg to Regina was brutal. Flat, smooth, flat and flat. And prairie. Thank god for the 110 speed limit in Saskatchewan! Regina was the friendliest city ever, people let you in when driving in the city, they don't pass you on the inside and very helpful. The weather was nice and we went for lunch at a great coffee shop. In the evening, Charles felt a little sick so we had the opportunity to visit a Saskatchewan walk-in clinic and pharmacy as well. Very clean and prompt, if you ever get sick in that province, you have nothing to fear....
For everyone who's worrying about the state of Charles, he's all good and back to normal. Like new.

From Regina we took off to Waterton Lakes, via Medicine Hat and Lethbridge. Beautiful rolling terrain, big sky, long trains, grain silos and FAR.... We rolled in to stunning Waterton around 5.30 pm and had dinner and basically collapsed. The hostel was the nicest one so far and we were almost ther by ourselves (except for a talkative couple, 2 german girls and an axe murderer). Charles also wants to mention that there was a whirl pool next door. And a swimming pool. And Xbox.
We got up early the next day and took a boat taxi to the Crypt Lake Trail. 16 km, 2300' elevation. Stunning. Waterfalls, rivers, steep cliffs, a tunnel to crawl through, a rock face where we had to chimmey across while holding on to a steel wire, all to get to a clear blue mountain lake, surrounded by mountains. Then, we had to hustle our sorry asses back to the boat, who would leave if we weren't back for 4.15 pm. We basically ran back (hence the whirl pool....). We were so exhausted after getting back that we ate tons of food (delicious tuna melt), had some wine and went to bed. Oh, and it was Cissi's 26th birthday! Happy birthday to myself.

After a restful sleep, we got up, packed up, said our good-byes to the axe murderer and headed on the 6, 22 and the 40 through Kananaskis country all the way to Canmore.
We are off to pitch camp, hope we wont get snow and hopefully get some climbing in the next couple of days.

Hope you are all well, sending you warm mountain vibes from the west....

Charles and Cissi

Advertisement



28th September 2006

smooches
It sounds like you're having the amazing time you deserve. I can't wait to see your photos and hear more stories! xoxo T

Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.072s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb