Greetings from Winnipeg!


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Manitoba » Winnipeg
September 24th 2006
Published: September 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone!

We are sitting in an internet cafe in Osborne Village in Winnipeg. We slept like rocks yesterday after driving 700+ km from Sleeping Giant to Winnipeg. We' re staying at Ivey House HI Hostel in a cozy (yet very stuffy) room. After storing and drying gear, Cissi & I went for Ethiopian food at Mazzawe (THANKS TERESA!!!!). The veggie platter was so good and filling. It was Cissi's first time eating Ethiopian, so she had fun eating with her hands!

The weather has been back and forth rainy and sunny. Our driving days are dry and our hiking / non-driving days are rainy. But we endured through it all and enjoyed every minute of it! Killarney was scenic on the short hike we went on (wet rocks though). Lake Superior was crazy windy and stormy! The landscape was so wild and rough. The Fall colours were also amazing! The Orphan Lake Hike was filled with steeps, coast, rainforest, rivers and falls (which we played on and around for quite a while). Sleeping Giant was rainy for the day we tried to hike to the Top of the Giant (which we couldn't find the trail for... and which we wound up slogging up and down for 6+ hours... in pouring rain. We were soaked and sore by the end of it all. Our sense of humour carried us through. I'm still sore. Cissi is strong as a horse).

Today we're enjoying walking around Winnipeg and seeing all the mixed architecture, art in the streets, hair salons, the strange abundance of dental practitioners and wedding shops... Really sunny and warm here. Tomorrow we're leaving for Regina and hopefully the weather will hold.

For the rest of today we're taking care of errands and maybe Cissi will get a haircut. Sunday is apparently church day here, as everything is either not open or closed. Oh well.

We're just trying to rest up as much as possible as the drive to Regina will be 5+ hours and VERY flat.... thank god there's two of us driving, cruise control and IPod's/CD's.

We miss you all and we'll be in touch.

Love,

Charles and Cissi

(Mamma och Pappa: grattis till lagenheten! Jag ska forsoka ringa idag... /Cissi

Advertisement



26th September 2006

Mmmm....
...Ethiopian! Charles, Chris Flynn and I were thinking about you the other day as we ate Ethiopian as well - it's been a long time and you are missed. You both sound like you are having a wonderful time - John and I are jealous and would love to get back on the road - Aaron is a good traveller, we just have to save up the cash. Ah, we'll just put Aaron to work...!

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0318s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb