9th Week in Canada


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Canmore
June 7th 2010
Published: June 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Attempt at ice skatingAttempt at ice skatingAttempt at ice skating

"You let go first"
Adam's Blog:

A couple of days in Canmore and we had the place worked out...and some day trips planned for every second day to visit the key areas. The weekend snow had abated, but it was still cool, so with little opportunity left, we headed to the Ice Skating rink for a go - first time for all except Al who brought back memories of teenage roller and ice derbies. The lone female olympian practising on the rink did not put us off, although our figures hugging the walls and lack of grace on the ice may have put her off. We couldn't quite master the double toe loops and gave up on the plushenko's...still we had some fun.

Our first day trip out was to Banff, home of the Canadian Rockies - 20 mins away and it didn't disappoint. On the way into town we spotted a large elk grazing at a picnic ground, so we got close enough to get some great pics...these things are huge - wouldn't want to get in their way. An orientation drive around the familiar town put things into perspective....ie the tourists - bus loads of them, gift shops selling everything Canadian (Made in China though)...a perfectly set up town. We had checked out tripadvisor.com - a reliable website for rating/reviewing hotels, things to do etc....to get the pick of the bunch...We visited the Hot Springs, and as the day was cooler and middle of week, it was a bit quieter so we enjoyed the 38 deg temp and the steam rising off the pool....(despite the fact the actual hot spring water had not come through the mountain yet...so in effect it was hot chlorinated pool water....which was why we couldn't smell the sulphur fumes.) Would recommend this for a family as only $23.

The next stop off was the Gondola to the top of Sulphur Mtn....it is a must do to get a bird's eye view of Banff, surrounding towns and Bow Valley...A fun ride to the top and photo opp there again. Most of the people working at the gondola and in gift shops were aussies. No bear's spotted, so we finished off and headed home.

We had Desiree look after the kids while we went out for dinner to a local pub, 'The Wood' to watch game 3 of the NHL and enjoyed a beer and a chat with more of the friendly local folk and young Shane the bartender from Karratha (WA) - whose chosen a skiing/mountain biking existence for next 2 years. Philly won 4-3, Chicago leads series 3-2 at present - hope to see final game this Friday.

The next big day trip out was to Lake Louise.....you just have to accept there will be a throng of people there including their RV's....we grabbed the opportunity to canoe on the Lake which is a must do as you see the chateau, the mountains and water colour in a different light. The water was icy with large chunks of ice floating by our oars - this was a natural highlight we will remember. After walking around the chateau we headed to a lesser known lake - Moraine in the Valley of the Ten Peaks, but fair to say this was a more picturesque and serene lake - coach buses can't get to it due to the winding road. The lake was half frozen still and the towering peaks stood watch all around. What a view! On the way home we saw a bunch of cars on the side of the highway, so took a punt and stopped as well and sure enough a lone moose was at a drinking hole - not as common as elk, so high fives on that one.

On Saturday we headed back to Banff for a bit of retail therapy - walking the streets we bumped into many aussies - 'where are you from' the catchcry....pretty funny when some answer in their broad accent - 'Straya' - derr. After shopping 'Surfers Paradise in the Mountains' we got out just in time and headed home to watch the movie from a few years ago 'Mystery Alaska' starring Russell Crowe.....it was filmed in Canmore and the town setting was purpose set up just 200m down road from our house.

After a week you feel your a local because:
* You've stayed longer than 90% of the tourists bussed in and out......(people usually stay a few nights due to high cost of staying in Banff National Park).
* You start to recite the mountains like you're a natural tour guide...."and over there is Rundle Mountain - it's 12km long and there are the 'Three sisters and Ha Long Peak'.
* You are having a chat with the locals about how
View from GondolaView from GondolaView from Gondola

Banff Spings in foreground, then Tunnel Mtn, Banff and view down Banff Springs Golf course and Bow River
laid back Canmore is compared to Banff.
* Wearing a jumper sprayed with "Banff", "Lake Louise" across it or some other motto or slogan is just uncool that only a tourist would wear.

We finish off our week with a few little quirks:
* Did you know that in Alberta, you don't need a front number plate on your car?.....What the...?
* Sign outside a Banff Hotel read Top Line: "We are pet friendly"......Bottom Line "Restaurant"....What the?
* Road sign saying "Report impaired drivers" ....must be a big concern in Canada.
* But then I listened on the radio today and a song from Rodney Atkins describing his country the USA and well really...it says it all........leave you with the chorus...you can download the song and lyrics at your leisure - or probably not:

It's a high school prom
It's a Springsteen song
It's a ride in a Chevrolet
It's a man on the moon
And fireflies in June
And kids sellin' lemonade
It's cities and farms
It's open arms
One nation under God
It's America
It's America
Oh yeah
Woo!


Bye for now


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Lake Louise Close UpLake Louise Close Up
Lake Louise Close Up

From the canoe looking to the end at Victoria Glacier
UsUs
Us

We got another canoe to take our photo


Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 58; dbt: 0.1258s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb