STAMPEDE!!!


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Calgary
July 12th 2006
Published: July 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Abe, Brandon & MattAbe, Brandon & MattAbe, Brandon & Matt

Howdy Cowboy! at the stampede grounds.
Hi guys,

It's well and truely stampede time and the bad shirts, hats and facial hair have come out to play! Last night was my first venture into the stampede grounds to watch the chuck wagon races and the 'greatest outdoor show on earth'. It was pretty good fun, albeit a touch on the cheesy side for aboot the first hour.

Basically what what I can gather the chuck wagons get millions of dollars in sponsorship to put company names on their little wagons who then chuck a flag in the boot, drive around a couple of barrels, and race around a course with 2 backriders following behind. Basically if you get in the front after the barrels you have to be a dud to lose.

After the wagon races they wheel in a massive stage and set up for the show. Loads of patriotic stuff, plenty of Oh Canada and flags. Had a comedian with bagpipes who was pretty funny, but the standout was these two massive guys doing some kind of Cirque de Solaie routine picking each other up over their heads. Crazy big!!

Big fireworks display during and at the end was pretty sweet, may have to situate on the foothills behind home on Sunday night when they just let off everything that they've got left, should be big. Making a trip to the rodeo on Saturday to watch the bull riding, bucking bronchos and cattle hearding, shoud be fun.

Matt decided to go the bad sheriff moustace, while I kept with the beard for a few more days. Poor old Brandon has been growing his "beard" for 3 weeks and you can nearly see it in the day light now, gold.

Had a nice meal last light at one of the locals for Amanda's birthday (our whinging bloody pom housemate). Off to the "roadhouse" later today for a oil/gas/engineering party that involves cow milking and mechanical bulls, hope the travel insurance has me covered!



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Don't try this at home!Don't try this at home!
Don't try this at home!

Umm, they are pretty big guys...
More Fireworks!More Fireworks!
More Fireworks!

pretty lights...
The long walk home...The long walk home...
The long walk home...

Hello gals, would du pleash take our photo wiv yous...
Abe & Amanda the PomAbe & Amanda the Pom
Abe & Amanda the Pom

This is the winging pom that Matt & I have to put up with everyday!


14th July 2006

questionable
abe you look very broke back mountain like. What is going on over there......
14th July 2006

not a good look
Gday mate i have 2 say did u get that cowboy outfit from the mardi gra wardrobe. Pity cause those 2 birds in that picture are absolute rippers, good 2 see they breed them well in canada. Looks like fun mate. Had arthroscope on tues so out of action for a while. Anyway catch ya later gordo.

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb