Seeing the USA in our RV


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Calgary
July 10th 2011
Published: July 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Stampede Parade. Friday the 8th begins before dawn with dressing in the Rounder uniform and remembering music, mouthpiece, water bottles, uniform fanny pack (in New Zealand it's called a “Bum Bag”), etc. Driving from our RV park to the hotel for a buffet breakfast and school bus transportation to the parade is a breeze with little traffic. After loading the truck with instruments we board the buses and rendezvous with other bands at a local high school. At the appointed hour we caravan, with police escort, through barricaded streets, non stop and direct to our band mobilizing area for the buses to park for the duration. The Visiting Band Committee has arranged a “watering hole” at this spot since the parade begins and ends here in its rectangular pattern and dehydration has been a problem in the past. Each band is provided a volunteer host who gets us to our appointed spots on time, sees to our entrance to the Calgary Stampede Park for our performance after the parade, etc. The bus drivers are particularly friendly and helpful with ours, Javier Garcia from Lima, Peru, helping carry instruments and flags and ensuring we have a fun time. Since we're the last band (unit #136 of 136) we have a 3-1/2 hour wait, with our early arrival, even though the parade begins on time at 0900. Prince William and Princess Kate, we're told by our tagalongs watching the parade, proceed down the parade route in a car and we finally march down the tall building canyons for 2.8 miles. They say 400,000 people watched us and we agreed they were a great crowd with lots of cheering and waving. Loading the buses and instruments we wend our way in the traffic to the Stampede grounds where we get a food break and play a concert on the Saddle Dome steps. Returning to the hotel for a Hospitality Suite refreshment break I, then, return to the RV for a foot break. It's been a great day with the sunny weather a comfortable temperature and the only draw back the gusty winds playing havoc with the letter carriers and sousaphones. Saturday proves to be a welcome relaxing day with our next performances on Tuesday.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.279s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1565s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb