Calgary Beats


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Calgary
July 18th 2009
Published: July 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Fire DanceFire DanceFire Dance

Entertainment at the awesome annual Kensington Food Bank Fundraiser yard party, put on by my good friend Marty
Despite my lofty new job in the land of corporate O&G and the fact that I have YET to re-visit the mountains, I fear this latest stint in Calgary is turning me into a tree-hugger. My two weeks since the last entry have consisted of daily bike commutes to and from work, twice-weekly yoga practices, Wednesday visits to the local Farmer's Market, Saturday stops at the bohemian Kensington Roasterie Cafe (a hang-out for people wearing flowy dresses, eccentric hats and shades on cloudy days) and keen monitoring of our recycling box, not to mention screening of the garbage can for recyclables that were misplaced by my roommates.

My arrival on this scene was quite gradual and unintentional - I began biking to avoid the cost and schedule constraints of taking public transit, not to mention the bonus fitness benefits, and started doing yoga as a way to stretch out the resulting tight leg muscles; I wound up at the Farmer's Market one day on my way home from work and liked the freshness of their fruit and veg compared to the artificially glossy selection at the local supermarket; and a Health and Wellness incentive program at work set me on
Party RabbitParty RabbitParty Rabbit

The latest in backyard party fashion - a bold return to the nature that surrounds you
a path towards more diligent recycling practices as a way of earning points toward a travel-voucher prize. But as I've begun to make a habit of these innocuous activities, all the while considering their implications on my well-being and that of our world, I seem to have stepped through a previously unseen portal to enviro-awareness and spirituality. Though I haven't yet embarked on the 100-mile diet , gone organic vegetarian or placed any crystals around the house, I still feel like I'm just a few granola clusters away from becoming a holistic hemp-wearing hippie.

Perhaps I don't even need to start wearing hemp to get there, either. A lot of the alternative types I've met in recent weeks wear normal clothing (though a small minority have a penchant for taking it off) and hold down professional jobs as engineers, IT specialists or real estate agents during the week. If you covered up their tattoos, took out their piercings and put them all in suits they wouldn't look any different from their mainstream counterparts, though a conversation would soon reveal the discrepancies - these people are plugged in.

For anyone who reproaches Calgary's social scene I say you're just
Plugged InPlugged InPlugged In

Having a good time with some regular party-goers
not looking hard enough. Despite the sedated appearance of the downtown core anytime after 6pm, a closer look into the nooks and crannies, the shadows, the basements, the Chinese Cultural Centre, even the fields of Red Deer will provide you with a more rich and vibrant party scene than you can make time or energy for. You just need to ask the right people for directions.

And they're not just great party resource-people, they also know where you can find the best eats for the morning after. Following a tip from a party-pal last week I found a new favourite in the '50s-style Diner Deluxe , which features unlimited cups of coffee and a brunch menu of hearty, gourmet masterpieces (finally a place that brings these two concepts together!) After a big night of dancing at a Kensington backyard bash in support of the Calgary Food Bank, their candied salmon frittata with toast and hashbrowns was perfect for absorbing those last few ounces of alcohol from my bloodstream.

Despite my wariness of losing touch with reality (and of being completely ostracized by my conservative friends), my association with the a-typical side of Calgary has given me nothing but
RandomRandomRandom

Just a pretty contrast between church and Winnebago in Calgary's northeast
fun and open-mindedness so far. So maybe I should just embrace this seemingly inevitable transition to peace and love and universal awareness; at least I've still got aggressive bi-weekly Aussie Rules practices and concrete O&G number-crunching to keep me from floating away completely.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

In StyleIn Style
In Style

The '50s-themed bathroom inside '50s-themed Diner Deluxe. My grandmother had these exact mirrors in her house, too!
Ice Cream Shop StopIce Cream Shop Stop
Ice Cream Shop Stop

Never too stuffed for ice cream, my friends and I hit up the northeast's Milkyway for flavours like Lemon Meringue and Moose Tracks on our way home from brunch.


28th July 2009

I just love your Calgary updates! Can't believe you didn't know about the Deluxe Diner! How great is it??? :)

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0207s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb