Driving through the snow


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Banff
April 14th 2010
Published: April 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Had a great day in the Banff National Park today. We arrived here yesterday afternoon after an overnight stop in Revelstoke on Sunday, and a quick stroll round Lake Louise Monday lunchtime. Today the weather has been gorgeous - lots of sunshine and very few clouds until about 4pm (mind you, it was gorgeous Sunday & Monday too). We got up early this morning and we were on the road by 8:30 (and we also made a supermarket stop before then to pick up provisions for the day!). We drove up the Bow Valley Parkway, looking to see if we could see any wildlife. We were pretty disappointed: it's obviously far too chilly for any self respecting animal to be out and about. Until, that is... about 1 km from the end of the parkway, we spotted a lone Elk on the far side of the river. It must have been relatively young, and seemed to have a bad leg as it wasn't walking too well. After taking the obligatory 400 photos, we headed off, up the Icefields parkway. Quick stops at Peyto Lake (lovely walk up through the snow to the viewing platform), Mistaya Canyon (somewhat slippy trot down to the river bridge) and Saskatchewan Mountain lookout (lovely spot for a bit of lunch), we crossed into the Jasper National Park - just so that we could say we did - and then turned round for a slow drive home, pausing briefly to walk up Johnston's Canyon (we could only get as far as the lower falls as the path was covered in snow beyond).

Update 16 April 2010 - And now with photos added


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



19th May 2010

Been to the lower falls last weekend & Oh my! What a difference! Neat photos. Keep travelling!

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb