A stroll along Bow River trail to Banff & the next day a ride into Banff


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Banff
March 5th 2021
Published: March 5th 2021
Edit Blog Post

http://www.heygo.com 4th March Banff



The Hudson’s Bay Company – the oldest incorporated business in North America – received its charter in 1670. The waters flowing into Hudson Bay have their watershed up in the Canadian Rockies and fur traders passed through the more northern Yellowhead route (now Jasper) long before the Bow Valley (where Banff is located) was mapped by Europeans.

Why the ‘Yellowhead Trail’? The first nations met blond people for the first time.



Canada’ began to emerge as a country in 1867 when Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia entered confederation. The real future of the country occurred when sparsely populated British Colombia joined in 1871 on the provision that a trainline connected the country.

Meanwhile, in 1867 Russia sold Alaska to the post-civil war USA for 2 cents an acre! Russia wanted to weaken Britain and the USA was bubbling with Manifest Destiny.

By remaining ‘British’ (i.e. joining Canada) the northern dominion emerged through the British North America Act – no war of independence. The new Canadian government purchased Rupert’s Land from the HBC in 1870 and began building its train in 1875.



The train
was completed on Nov. 7, 1885 and Banff National Park was established.



Towards the end of 1883, the railway had reached the Canadian Rocky Mountains.

Through his time William Van Horne began to recognize the tourism opportunity of the Rockies. With his vision of building grand hotels across Canada, the CPR began to advertise the scenic mountain ranges of the west & made luxury hotels for travellers to visit.

In 1887, Van Horne commissioned blueprints for a grand hotel on a site personally chosen and named by him. During the same year, Banff became Canada’s first national park.



“Since we can’t export the scenery, we’ll have to import the tourists.” – William Van Horne.



Our tour started overlooking the magnificent Banff Springs Hotel which opened its doors In 1888.



We took the Bow River Trail and what a pretty trail it was with views of the mountains, the frozen river & snow all around.

There were a few dog walkers taking their morning exercise and you could imagine how pretty this walk would be even without the snow.



It always surprises me
just how much distance is covered in these 35 minute virtual tours, they never feel rushed and the guides are just brilliant.





In the early 1900s, Banff entered an era of development characterized by prairie and craftsman styles. Both were western interpretations of the arts and crafts movement, rooted in simplicity, craftsmanship, and rustic influences. As the Dominion Parks Branch began to assert increased design authority in the 1920s, plans were standardized for public buildings across the growing national parks program. Although they were influenced by the American rustic tradition, they incorporated an English revivalist approach, fostering a unique style known as Tudor Rustic.



In 2017 The Alberta community installed a new welcome sign, with large letters spelling out its name. It drew so much attention, with drivers pulling over their vehicles to take photos, that traffic has become quite congested.

"The truth is, it's become a victim of its own success," Banff Deputy Mayor Grant Canning. "And it's become so hugely popular even beyond what we thought it would, it's created problems that we didn't really anticipate."



We found the sign in downtown Banff.



We visited Banff many years ago so it was good to revisit and I’m hoping to join more tours from here in the future.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement








Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb