Local Market & Windmill Brewery


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
March 6th 2021
Published: March 6th 2021
Edit Blog Post

http://www.heygo.com 6th March - Local Market & Windmill Brewery Amsterdam



Dapper Market.

At the beginning of the 20th century, the bustle on the street of the Dapperbuurt increased. Hawkers, in particular, determined the street scene and overran each other trying to sell their wares. This even led to fights to get the best spots with more customer traffic. The hawkers also hindered traffic with their carts and the municipality didn’t like that.



In 1910, the Dapperstraat was officially designated by the municipality of Amsterdam as a market street. The Dappermarkt draws visitors from the all over the Netherlands. There are many products of interest to the city's residents Surinamese, Antillean, Turkish & Moroccan origin, giving the market and the surrounding neighbourhood a strong multicultural feel.



Open 6 days a week but during Covid only food & essential goods were trading but it was still busy. The layout of this market street has remained the same for over 75 years with over 250 stalls,



The market owes its name to Olfert Dapper, who was known for his commitment to a multicultural society in the Netherlands.

Olfert Dapper (January
1636 – 29 December 1689) was a Dutch physician & writer. He wrote books about world history & geography, although he never travelled outside the Netherlands



' De Dapperstraat' is a sonnet by JC Bloem written and published in 1945.

Many older Dutch people know the sonnet ‘De Dapperstraat’, written just after World War II, by J.C. Bloem. It describes the feeling of the poet being entirely satisfied in the greyness of the city on a rainy day. It concludes with ‘Domweg gelukkig in de Dapperstraat.’, ‘Simply content in the Dapperstraat’. Which we saw on the façade of a building.



It was strange to see herons walking around amongst the shoppers but they were near one of the fish stalls so maybe they get fed some scraps.



I expected there would be more interesting stalls to get up close too but it was busy on a Saturday morning so difficult for the guide.



On the way to see the windmill I ladybird tile was on the pathway in front of a house.

Lee our guide explained that these Ladybird street tiles are a symbol against ‘senseless
violence’ in The Netherlands and are often placed on the sites of deadly crimes.



De Gooyer is the tallest wooden mill in the Netherlands at 26.6 meters high.



The names dates from the around 1609, when the mill was owned by Claes and Jan Willemsz, two brothers from Gooiland. Next to the mill, in the former municipal bathhouse dating back to 1911, is a micro brewery the.The mill and the bathhouse building are unrelated, and the mill fulfils no function for the brewery despite the image of a mill being in the brewery logo.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement





Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0709s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb