Golf in The Rocky Mountains


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Banff
June 19th 2019
Published: June 27th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday We made the 45 minute drive south to the beautiful town of Banff for lunch and Wednesday Brett and I played golf at Banff Springs Golf Course. Banff Springs Golf
This would be Brett's first time playing this year. A demanding job and a 20 month old doesn't leave much time for golf. Banff Springs is probably the most scenic golf course I've ever played that wasn't on the ocean, just spectacular every where you look. Playing golf with my son is one of the most enjoyable things I get to do. Unfortunately since they moved to New Jersey we don't get to do it very often now, maybe twice a year. That's one of the best things about golf, a 69 year old geezer can play with his 32 year old son, albeit not as well as the 32 year old anymore.



The forecast Tuesday was for rain all day Wednesday and we really thought we would get rained out, but lo and behold, it wasn't raining in the morning so off we went. The weather stayed nice for about 11 holes when the wind picked up and we got a very light rain shower, no big deal. The rain lasted only a short time and by the time we got to the 15th hole, the wind picked up to about 40 mph and it started to hail. It was the first time either of us had ever played in hail. By the time we reached the green, the green was almost covered in hail. It was melting quickly and while we were putting, a worker came and told us to stay off the green until the hail melted. Too late. Soon the wind died down and the hail stopped and we played two more holes when it started raining again. Only this time it really came down. We managed to play 17 and at the 18th tee we decided to head for the clubhouse and call it a day. I guess you could say we lucked out because the forecast was much worse than what we got. The weather sure changes real quickly in the mountains.



I used to give Brett 2 shots a side several years ago and I argued to play even at the start, but he talked me into 1 stroke a side. I agreed, but told him it couldn't be
Banff Springs GolfBanff Springs GolfBanff Springs Golf

That's the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel in the mountains like a castle.
a par 5. He hits the ball a loooong way. He beat me pretty handily and we dropped the stroke on the back 9, but it didn't help me. It was close on the back but he beat me anyway and I lost all three games, front, back and total. Father time catches up to all of us.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb