Beautiful, Magnificent Jasper & Banff NPs


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Banff National Park
June 22nd 2010
Published: June 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Tangle FallsTangle FallsTangle Falls

Jasper NP, AB
Happy Birthday, Barbara and Peggy!

We left Hinton ready to see Jasper and Banff National Parks after hearing so many times how beautiful they are. And believe me, they did not disappoint. Jasper started out with Jasper Lake and the Athabasca River. Then Pyramid Mountain, covered with snow came into view. Around each curve, it got more beautiful, more snow on the mountain tops, more glaciers, more green lakes and rivers. It’s slow going because you hate to pass up any overlooks. The Canadian Rockies are what the Rockies should look like; rocky.

At the Columbia Icefield Kerry, Bob and Gena decided to walk up to the glacier. I only went partway up and watched them as they crawled in places and dragged poor Moe up the steep spots. The wind coming down off the glacier was cool, and my eyes were drawn to the snow and ice above and the pale green glacial pond below.

We saw bighorn sheep again, rams this time, and even a grizzly bear grazing at the bottom of a hill at the overlook for Crowfoot Glacier. We wondered why folks were taking pictures down instead of up.

We stopped at the
Columbia IcefieldColumbia IcefieldColumbia Icefield

Jasper NP, AB
Lake Louise Campground for tents, which is surrounded by electric fence to keep the bears out. After setting up the campers, we rode up to Lake Louise to see its famous views. The water was emerald green and the glaciers above were startling. There were clouds covering the tops of the mountains, but the scene was still magnificent.

We were told we didn’t need to go to Alaska, just go to Jasper and Banff. While I wouldn’t give up Alaska for anything, I would love to come back to Alberta for these two wonderful parks. They’re certainly easier to get to than Alaska is.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Bighorn SheepBighorn Sheep
Bighorn Sheep

Rams this time, in Banff NP
Bow GlacierBow Glacier
Bow Glacier

Banff NP
Grizzly BearGrizzly Bear
Grizzly Bear

Banff NP
Lake LouiseLake Louise
Lake Louise

and Victoria Glacier, Banff NP


24th June 2010
Tangle Falls

Again, I know I am repeating myself, but how incredible these scenes are. I get more jealous every picture I see!!!!! Wouldn't Mom have loved seeing this? Thanks for the birthday wishes, missed your voice tho. Love ya and keep on sending the beautiful pic's.
27th June 2010

Thanks for the b-day song, Kerry. AND wishes Charlie. Just another 71st birthday......................uhhhhhh really????????????????

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0659s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb