Vermillion Lakes


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Banff National Park
September 8th 2009
Published: September 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Rundle Rundle Rundle

Rundle mountain with Vermilion lakes in the foreground.
The Vermilion Lakes are a series of three picturesque lakes located immediately west of Banff.

The three lakes are formed in the Bow River valley, in the Banff National Park, at the foot of Mount Norquay. They are located between the Trans-Canada Highway and the Canadian Pacific Railway tracks but quite near to the town of Banff.

Two things that you need to know about Vermilion Lakes is that you can't fail to take a good photo of the view (late afternoon is a great time for a shot) and that you are almost guaranteed to see wildlife here.

There is a road that runs along side the lake for a few Km, we drove along the road to the turning area and then drove back slowly stopping at various points.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Elk StagElk Stag
Elk Stag

A stag Elk, looks a little menacing, apparently these boys are pretty dangerous and account for more injuries to people than other animals in the park. They also make a great steak or burger and you can buy their meat locally.
AutomaticAutomatic
Automatic

Tray tries to get to grips with driving an automatic, you have to move the stick to "D" to make it go, otherwise it just revvs loudly and everyone looks round.
Nice BeaverNice Beaver
Nice Beaver

This is actually a Muskrat, they are found all over north america and are about 4x bigger than a rat. This guy had built a dam on the lakes and we watched it for a while until the midges started attacking us.


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1006.5kb