World Hijab Day


Advertisement
Middle East
February 2nd 2017
Published: February 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

imageimageimage

Image from google
The hijab, niqab, chador, and burka, are all types of clothing that Muslim women use to cover their hair, and sometimes entire face and body. It is to allow women to be modest, though there is a lot of controversy both in countries with large and small Muslim populations. To some the Hijab represents and allows freedom from pressure and unwanted attention, to others the hijab is a way to subjugate Women.

World Hijab Day's aims are to bring better awareness, have greater understanding, and have a more peaceful world. I think it's fair to say that the organisation has high hopes, but why not, eh. Women wearing the hijab are more likely than Muslim men to be attacked by racists and bigots. There are also higher rates of verbal abuse and discrimination.

Interestingly, there seems to be more men commenting on the use or non-use of the hijab. Demanding that women cover themselves, or demanding that women shouldn't be forced to wear it (without any thought for a woman's choice). Tweeters have denounced World Hijab Day as a way to subjugate women (some going so far as comparing it to slavery), but almost every woman that I came
imageimageimage

Image from google
across as trying it enjoyed the experience.

I wore the hijab for a couple of hours in the evening. To be exact, I wore a scarf in the al-amira style, which seems to be the most common. The first thing I noticed was a change to the shape of my face. It seemed rounder. Maybe it has always been like this. I have long dark hair, and without this my face looked a different colour. I was able to everything I would usually do And to be honest, i felt no different, except a little irritated by the material (I blame the scarf).

It is difficult to understand why people (and it is mostly men) feel they have a right to dictate what a woman can and cannot wear. Whether it is a person's cultural heritage, religious choice, or fashion taste, no one has the right to demand a woman (or indeed a man) to wear one thing or another. That cuts both ways.

I've posted a link below to an article in which women discuss their choices to wear or not wear the hijab.

Tomorrow: What have the Thai ever done for us?



http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2016/11/hijab-means-161121095821929.html

Advertisement



Tot: 0.424s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb