Dubai, UAE


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Dubai
April 19th 2013
Published: May 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Ski DubaiSki DubaiSki Dubai

In the mall, that is.
Admittedly, we didn’t do too much research or really know what to expect of Dubai. What country is Dubai part of again? Right. The United Arab Emirates (UAE), which as far as we could tell, is mostly known for their oil production. When flying into the city from our long overseas flight from Washington Dulles airport, Dubai appeared to be an oasis of energy, surrounded by endless sand dunes.



Upon arriving, we were expecting the heat and the stink of a big Asian country. Dubai indeed had the heat, but not the stink or chaos. Very few motorbikes, no stray dogs, NO trash, no one living on the street. . . Lots of men in traditional garb, and lots of people in not so traditional garb from around the world. No alcohol in public (though our very seedy hotel bar not only had alcohol, but prostitutes).



The food was good, and even cheap in the right sections of town. However, most restaurants had ‘family sections’ (read: if you are a woman or a child, or want to eat with a woman or a child, please separate yourself into this little unventilated room and close the door behind you). Lots of Indian and Middle Eastern foods—and always a spoonful of fennel seeds on the way out.



Despite this old world aspect, Phil describes Dubai as Logan’s Run (a 70’s sci movie that hasn’t hit my radar), because Dubai is a new age city that seems to want you to stay inside. Dubai was only a pedestrian friendly city when one was walking above the city in various inside, air conditioned bridges that connected popular places. Walking outside wasn’t so easy, and certainly not encouraged. One can even ski without going outside at the Mall of the Emirates.



The last thing I will note about Dubai is all of the rules posted—how to ride the escalator, not to eat or drink in the subway (one would be fined), how to line up when wanting to board the subway; it’s even against the law to be homeless, and possibly to honk your horn (unconfirmed, but very little honking taking place).



Despite my nay-saying, Dubai was great. We were happy enough to be there, it was affordable if you stayed out of the touristy sections and in many ways it was beautiful. Most importantly, an American doesn’t need a Visa to get into the United Arab Emirates, and it made our transfer to Nepal that much easier (and successful).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb