Dubia Culture Day


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Dubai
May 13th 2006
Published: May 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I am writing this from the Library of the Burg Al Arab whilst Paul is having a game of Pool by himself, more about that later.

Saturday we left the pampered confines of our hotel and visited downtown Dubia in search of some culture.
Taxi to the city, it is a bit like our Big Dig, construction everywhere. We visited Dubia Museum and had a stroll around the old town. Through Souks and alongside the creek. This place was nothing until the early 1900's when the ruler made the decision to allow foreign nationals to reside tax free here. It was a port for the many trade routes around the area trading in spices, pearls and gold. The black and white photos are amazing even until up to 1960- 70 this place was not very much at all except for an important port.

We walked along the creek towards the sea and as we did the Mosques sent out their calls to prayer. It was mesmorising standing there surrounded by all the various calls from the loud speakers of the minarets.
We continued until we reached a restaurant and stopped for lunch. We where the only people in the area and the restaurant. Lunch was large salad, Paul had fish soup, the we had the fisherman's platter. Grilled lobster tail, squid, two types of filleted fish, king prawns served with grilled vegetables, aubergine, corgette, green beans, huge plate of chips, flat bread, water. 20 pounds only and absolutely delicious.

We visited the spice souk, I bought some Saffron and some whole vanilla pods. The man wanted to sell us some "natural viagra" guaranteed 15 times a night. Some conconction made of honey and herbs and spices which you have to mix with warm milk- we passed on that. Paul wanted to but some and spike my warm milk of an evening I said nowing your luck it would probably send me to sleep.

The gold souks did what it said on the tin- sold gold, we got hassled a lot here so found it difficult to stop for any lenght of time and window shop, there where other souks in which the locals shopped and we wondered around until we were souked out.

We took a trip across the creek in the abras- water taxis, get on wait for it to fill up and away it goes. the creek was full of ships and taxis and appeared to have no right of way as our captain sailed us right across the path of an incoming boat full of cargo I have taken a photo to prove how close it was to us.

I thought it was really sad as the old Dubia and its culture is 1) very hard to find and 2) not at all promoted. But as Paul said we found it and if people want to they will. I would have enjoyed coming here in the 1960- 70s when it had that Indian Jones feel to it, all bazzars, souks and eastern mystery. I'm not so much in love with the new Dubia as the old.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb