#16-Dubai: 1001 Arabian Night (Minus 1000)


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Dubai
July 13th 2007
Published: July 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

7/13/07
When we first deplaned at 4:30 in the morning at Dubai international airport, Dan and I groaned at the lengthy transportation, immigration, and baggage process, wondering if this one-day stopover was a bad idea. Twenty-four hours later, we were laughing at how quickly we jumped to such an incorrect judgment.

Dubai is in the United Arab Emurates and sits on the Arabian Sea. It is a wealthy nation containing only 1.3 million people, most of whom are Indian (dot, not feather), Filipino and Pakistani. Less than 20% are Arab. From what I read, it has transformed itself into an oasis of technology and western-style capitalism in less than a decade. Construction of high rise offices and living spaces, as well as architectual innovations are everywhere. I was told that 70% of the world's cranes are currently in Dubai.

We booked a three-hour driving tour to see what Dubai had to offer. The different buildings were so unique and interesting--many of which have set some kind of world record. For instance, the Burj Al Arab, a hotel built in the ocean and shaped like a giant sailboat, is the world's only seven star resort. Presently under construction is the soon-to-be tallest building in the world. It is currently the second tallest and has something like 50 floors to go). We also drove to the palm islands--manmade islands shaped like palm trees. They are also building islands in the shape of the world, selling "countries" to athletes, movie stars and other millionaires.

My favorite stop was the beach at the Arabian Sea. Not only was it beautiful, especially with the Burj Al Arab towering above the mild surf, but it seemed a nice respite from the 110 degree weather. I kicked off my flip flops and tossed my bag on the beach. I was amazed at how silky the sand felt as I ran into the sea. It was so powdery. Before the water reached my knees, my refreshing jog into the surf came to a screeching halt when I felt the heat of the Arabian Sea. Now, I take pretty hot baths, but this water seemed hotter than any bath I had ever taken. I was later told it was 90 to 95 degrees...so much for a cool dip.

The highlight of our day in Dubai was the desert safari. We shared this experience with the sweetest Indian (DnF) family who lived on an island off of Madagascar/southern tip of Africa. The safari started with a drive to the desert, than THROUGH the desert...literally! We went dune bashing, as if we were shooting an ad campaign for the 2007 Toyota SUV we were driving. It was so intense--like a private roller coaster ride. We flew over the tops then dropped down the side. Our truck slid down and smashed against the sand while we all laughed, screamed, gasped and held on for dear life.

After riding the dunes, we ended up at a camel farm in the middle of the desert. Camels are ugly-ass animals...and thats alls I's gotsta say.

We continued off-roading through the desert towards the main part of the evening: an Arabian dinner that was like a scene from Aladdin. We came to a camp of sorts, with a lit circle of thatch roofed huts. Inside, we were able to dress like shieks, smoke from a hookah, get a hennah tattoo, make sand art, and ride an uly-ass camel. Dinner was a delicious Arabian buffet BBQ. We ate like like Arabs, sitting on cushions while watching a belly dancer.

The best part about the evening--the whole day actually--was that it was Dan's 42nd birthday. We couldn't think of a more eventful way to celebrate his entry into the world. It was a well spent day in Dubai.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.224s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0646s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb