First stop...Dubai


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Dubai
September 20th 2008
Published: October 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Abu Dhabi AirportAbu Dhabi AirportAbu Dhabi Airport

Pretty impressive display of mosaics for an airport!
First stop on my travels was Dubai for five days. It was an interesting start coming into Abu Dhabi airport after 15 hrs of flying and seeing the crazy mosaic airport at about 3am Australian time....I just stood jet-lagged trying to take it in. So much effort for an airport...

Dubai was not what I expected...it's very old meets new. There's a mass of highrises and construction like the advertising promotes but on the other hand there's still stinky old wooden abra's being used to cross Dubai Creek to the old Souqs. There's also a clear distinction of wealth and it's not all that clean. It's definately not a city to have a black car in with smog and dust settling everywhere.

I had an absolute ball on a desert tour which included 4x4 sand dune driving, camel rides, visiting a camel farm, sandboarding and dinner under the stars in the middle of the desert. Another day was spent at Wild Wadi, an awesome waterpark where the only thing needed was a wristband to access absolutely everything (order food, lockers, buy souveniors etc)...and yes, I gave the big speed slide a go! Or should I say wedgy slide... There's definately no way to delicately stand up after that, especially when the guy at the end of the slide is laughing at you!

I was fortunate (or unfortunate for my stomach) to visit during Ramadan which was interesting. Not knowing much about Ramadan I thought drinking water was acceptable especially considering the heat until I was told off in a department store for taking a sip, whoops! The lady was fine about it, but it's a challenge trying not to pass out in 40 degree heat without food or water during the day. The heat and humidity was full-on, my camera and sunnies kept fogging up to give you an idea. My proposal is of course to move this religious month of worship and holiness that they've been practicing since the dawn of time to a cooler time of year! It's acceptable to buy food and the supermarket was packed with people, but it's not acceptable to eat in public. We ended up sneaking back to the hotel to eat from time to time. But like everything, if you can't have something you always want it more, so come Iftar (the meal that breaks fasting at sunset) I was like a fat kid on a cupcake! It was not a pretty sight!

The Souqs were interesting - Gold, Spice and Perfume. They were a mass of shops, indoor and outdoor, all looking the same and mostly airconditioned (thank you very much!). I'm now sporting some lovely gold earrings and had some perfume made up as a result...for the memories of course! You've got to love the way they barely speak to you about anything (especially because you're a western woman) then all of a sudden they know the days exchange rate for Australia when you enter a shop. Also interesting that the Ramadan water police weren't there when water was offered with every gold purchase... The offer of course being whispered and you had to go to the back of the shop so no one could see...very secret service!

I'm always a fan (sounds sad) of checking out supermarket's in foreign countries...I was taken back by the camel milk. It didn't even cross my mind that you'd be able to buy it, but I just had to give it a go. Bit of a soy full-cream taste....I probably won't be shipping it over, but worth a try!
Wild Wadi WaterparkWild Wadi WaterparkWild Wadi Waterpark

This is the big slide. Awesome view of Dubai from the top.


More travel bloggs to come xx




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Spice Souk in DeiraSpice Souk in Deira
Spice Souk in Deira

Loads of spices, teas and herbs.
4x4 dune bashing4x4 dune bashing
4x4 dune bashing

This was awesome and our driver was fantastic.
SandboardingSandboarding
Sandboarding

Note 'the lean'...
The 'falcon'The 'falcon'
The 'falcon'

Yep, I found the ANZ falcon...
SheeshaSheesha
Sheesha

Tried an apple sheesha under the stars in the desert.
New tatNew tat
New tat

Tried a bit of henna. (It's not real mum!)
Ski DubaiSki Dubai
Ski Dubai

Dubai's impressive indoor ski centre attached to a shopping centre, Mall of the Emirates.
Abra RideAbra Ride
Abra Ride

An Abra ride across Dubai creek, about a 5 min trip to the souks costs 1 dirham each, about 30 cents.


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb