Wild Wadi!


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Dubai
October 22nd 2005
Published: October 24th 2005
Edit Blog Post

After a loooooong sleep, which we woke from at 4am, wide awake...(damn body clock) we then ventured out in the morning to the mall across the road (called ,city centre, even though it isnt in the city centre (logic). Jules bought a pair of Gucci sunglasses which she had her eye on, I just wandered around aimlessly looking at all the amazing food places that were shut....that ramadan thing again...and got sprayed with after shaves all morning around the mall. They have this big promo thing on, every different part of the mall had a different flavoured purfume, so I left smelling like a cheap NY pimp.

We then got into a gypsy cab and went out to Wild Wadi Fun Park! This was the whole reson for us stopping in Dubai, and it was soooo cool! The most amazing water slide collection, with slides that actually push you UP the slides, not using gravity like they normally do when you ride down them...hard to explain.

It was great to see that although we were in a middle eastern country, they still hadn,t frogotten how to rip people off like the american parks. The only food on offer was burgers and fries, and they were about $30NZ per meal....good to see some things never change 😊

We got bored with Wadi after a couple of hours so went and checked out the Souk next door. It was a bastardised marketplace that was all under cover, just for the poor tourists, it was lame. But it looked amazing from the outside, all done up like an Indiana Jones movie.

After a nap back at the room (which was amazing BTW, like an Arabian movie, Egyptian cotton sheets, big goose down pillows...incredible, and really cheap) we then went out to th Gold Souk. This is undescribable.

Must be over 1000 shops all in rows, selling nothing but GOLD DIAMONDS and PEARLS. The gold is all minimum 18ct (its the law dont you know!) and the diamonds are amazingly cheap. No tax or duty makes it a VERY good option for those jewellery hounds!

The people in the markets are great, they hound you all the time "You want copy watch?, copy handbag? copy DVDs?" but as soon as you tell them "no", they leave you alone.....
Jules always had a problem saying "no" to someone in need.....so needless to say, we ended up in some "secret office" (which was a converted garbage room with A/C inside) that housed wall to wall handbags and watches and sunnys etc. Of course Jules had to buy something......


We walkd back along the creek and listened to the Holy Karahn (sp) being SCREAMED out the top of the Mosque towers. The are incredible to see, big towers all lit up and huge loud speakers bellowing out the top.

As always, everyone was a lot happier after dark, they could finally EAT!

Over all, Dubai is amazing. For shopping it's incredible, there ar so many malls and thousands of shops, but we didnt think the imported stuff was much cheaper than NZ' just a better variety. The gold and spice markets are awesome, you can buy everything here, including all the copy stuff and its really cheap.

The people are not so much friendly, but accommodating. Like the Europeans, politeness seems to be an option. Acom is cheap, the weather is great and the airport is so close (and MASSIVE).

We will definitely come back here, so much we didn't get to do.

Advertisement



6th November 2005

Hey you two... Gucci's.. hehe

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb