Dubai Arrival


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Dubai
November 19th 2007
Published: December 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Borj Al ArabBorj Al ArabBorj Al Arab

From our helicopter view on high!
Arrival in Dubai

What a cultural contrast we experienced leaving India and entering the orderly modern city of Dubai! After checking into our five star hotel, we all gathered for a traditional Dhow Dinner Cruise, an Arabic ship decorated with carpets, cushions, and offering local delicacies in warm hospitality.

We awaken to a day at leisure and after spending way too much time with Emera, our concierge, I realize how grateful I am for the folks at Travel Guild World Tour for all of the leg work they do to keep our group well organized and tended!

Doug is in much demand as we’re off to the gold souk and many of our fellow travelers seek his advice. Then a taxi ride (everyone owns a car in Dubai and seldom ride share) through heavy traffic delivers us to the Mall of the Emirates. Inside are all the predictable Western stores. However, add a ski slope complete with ice sculptures and a huge local supermarket and we enjoy ourselves thoroughly! Did you know that Dubai sells blue crabs? I didn’t until today. Sheik Muhammed, Dubai’s leader, is intentional that everything in Dubai be bigger and more over the top than anywhere else. For example, the world’s tallest building, The Borj Dubai, is 185 stories high! As we gaze from our hotel window Doug and I watch the construction of yet another set of man-made islands as well as a large paved area reading “ Your Vision Begins in Dubai” which happens to be the Guinness Book of World Records largest advertisement!

This evening we headed into the desert in 20 Toyota Cruisers for an off-road experience (imagine Betty screaming and squealing) into a Bedouin encampment for traditional barbeque served in tents (equipped with cushions, low tables, and carpets), camel rides, henna tattoos, and belly dancing to traditional music! I’ve never been so comfortable in the sand in my life! What fun we enjoyed … Home to the hotel exhausted from our leisure pursuits we fall into bed …

Our last day in Dubai was spent city touring, souk, window shopping, and most impressive of all … a helicopter ride! Taking off from a secure location at the Dubai Police Academy, our American pilot, Tyler from Idaho, dipped and wove amongst skyscrapers, palm shaped and world map shaped islands, and the aforementioned ski slope. Yours truly sat from
Tallest Building in the WorldTallest Building in the WorldTallest Building in the World

Dubai does the world one better in many things!
and center squealing with delight! A quick refresher at the hotel (Doug and I have reduced our dietary intake to white foods … bread and rice …) and we were off for our dinner at the pool-side café of the Dubai al Arab, the only 7 star hotel in the world. I spent time feasting with my eyes, paying the $100 per person charge and soaked up the most gaudy architecture in the world. This building is world famous for its sale shaped exterior and its interior … well, too over the top for even this glamour appreciative gal. A seaside theme is evident if your really search for it (aquaria, water ballet), suffice it to say that this edifice is remarkable!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb