Agra, India & the Taj


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Agra
November 18th 2007
Published: November 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Days 1 and 2 in Agra, India
We arrived through a military base airport today having enjoyed a relaxing and comfortable 4 + hour flight. Do you remember that each of our flights begins with sparkling wine? Works for me! We traversed Thailand, the Bay of Bengal and the Himalaya Mountains (pronounced Him - all - yas according to our Indian travel companions). Viewing K2 and Everest even from 40,000 feet was awesome!

After a brief rest we departed for a barbeque Indian-Style with open wood fires and delicious Indian food including naan, pappadom (both breads), paneer (firm cottage cheese) in sauces, and heavenly basmati rice. These dishes were some of the best I’ve enjoyed (convincing me that I may need to change my opinion of Indian cuisine)! We were entertained by traditional dancers and a magician. What a lovely evening!

We have noticed that this country is vastly different from our previous stops in so many ways … cuisine, sights, sounds, smells, and interpersonal contact. How wonderfully different each culture has been! We traveled by tonga (horse pulled cart - you should have seen me “hop in” at 3 ½ feet off the ground) and our wizened driver
Doug & Betty AdornedDoug & Betty AdornedDoug & Betty Adorned

Marigold is the National Flower of India. The red dot, no longer signifies marriage, but rather decoration.
in addition to asking for a tip even before we embarked, nevertheless allowed me to take the reins! Think single lane dirt road, two-way traffic, and a skinny horse navigating cars, trucks, and other indescribable vehicles!

Our trip to the Taj Mahal and the Red Fort/Palace exceeded my expectations for sheer majesty and inspiration. What a testimonial to familial commitment and architectural resourcefulness! The Taj , constructed in the early 1600’s (think Pilgrims and American Indians) from the finest marble, endures in tact thanks to numerous high level engineering feats. Many legends abound regarding her construction including the nonexistent black Taj.

We visited both a marble inlay factory (with descendents from the original craftsmen) and a handcrafted carpet establishment. We succumbed to a purchase of this durable marble (the same as used on the Taj), a small tray inlaid with onyx, carnelian, lapis lazuli, malachite, turquoise, and mother of pearl. Merchants are high power and aggressive in this country - and the street vendors are alarming at times. My imperious gaze kept me relatively free of these folks, however.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

NemasteNemaste
Nemaste

Betty, in punjabi suit, offers a traditional Indian greeting!
Tree of LifeTree of Life
Tree of Life

Semi precious stones inlaid in the marble of the Taj
Henna TattooHenna Tattoo
Henna Tattoo

Often obtained to celebrate a wedding, our bedouin feast provides us with an opportunity to adorn ourselves!


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb