Eid Mubarak


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Dubai
October 12th 2007
Published: October 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

To day is the last day of Ramadan. Depending on which country you follow. Duabair follow Saudi Arabia while some others follow Iran. Even in Dubai there are people who believe Ramadan ends tomorrow. Eid starts tomorrow. Everyone is busy cooking and buying new clothes. We went out tonight to finished shopping and the streets are filled with prople everywhere. Men getting there hair cut and shaves. Every barber shop is filled. People buying new shoes, new clothes, presents. People just wait for the news when Eid starts and then everyone goes shopping at the same time.
We started Eid with the Eid prayer at about 8:00 am. If you have ever visited a Middle Eastern country or heard the Adan called by a mu'addin. The call for Eid prayer is different than the Adan and is about 20 minutes. Muslim or not it is moving. After Eid prayer you return home and begin getting ready to have your friends and family over. Since Eid was on Friday, You go back to the mosque around one for Jumu'ah, Friday congregatinal prayer.
Eid is for three days and some business close for four. Some schools have about 10 days for vacation while
This is real organicThis is real organicThis is real organic

We went to the local meat market and got to choose the sheep that we wanted
others 4. It is Islams major holiday. People go to each others homes to eat and visit. Children get candy and toys and money.
We have spent three Ramadan's in Seattle. This was my first time in a Muslim country for Ramadan and Eid.
We also went to the local meat market and chose a sheep to be butchered. After selecting our sheep we wathced the cleaning and cutting process. This is truly organic. That night we had Mansif, the Jordanian national dish. YUM. Mansaf arranged with a layer of thin Arabic bread called Markook or Shrak bread on the bottom of the platter. This is covered by rice and the meat sits above that. Traditionally the head of the animal sits on top of the dish. The yoghurt sauce is then applied liberally to the platter. It can be garnished with almonds or pine nuts. Traditionally it is collectively consumed from a large platter and eaten with the right hand, rather than using utensils (although it has become acceptable for it to be eaten with a spoon, from a normal dish).
I was excited to get about 35 pieces of Jameed wich is used to make the yogurht sauce
inspectioninspectioninspection

The inspector is making sure the animal is not sick and ok for consumption
that covers Manisf. It was hand made my by mother in alw in Palestine. Lucky me


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Photo 1Photo 1
Photo 1

The sheep we chose from the market is being cut.


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb