Duba - living it up before we hit Bangkok


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Dubai
July 1st 2007
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We have had a fab time in Dubai, the weather was el scorchio! It was officially 41'c every single day, although the temperature gauge in the taxis told a different story! 45 - 46'c. Apparently all of the builders over here cant work above a certain temperature..... so they LIE......nothing like a bit of bending the rules!!! It was so hot here........ that when you walked into the sea it was like getting into a very hot bath...... nice and refreshing not!

We spent a great day at the Wild Wadi water park, although the start of the day was not great after being ripped off by a friendly taxi driver - We get the feeling this is something that is going to happen quite often! To be fair though we have never had so much leg room in a taxi before, or limo as we later found out! (It didn't look that big from the outside, honest!). The water park itself was ace..... you get on these giant inflatable rings and get WOOOOSHED around the park on a series of slides - pretty good fun and extremely relaxing. The one unrelaxing ride is some MASSIVE slide that shoots you down at 80kph.... of course I had to make sure it was safe and sent Bex down first!!! Bex was unworried about the dangers of this ride, and the chance of losing her swimwear, but extremely concerned about her contact lenses! Women! Soon after Bex had gone down the slide... I had to wait for 15mins while they carried out safety checks!!! I think she needs to ease up on those free buffet breakfasts!

We decided to do a bit of shopping and wanted to see downtown Dubai.......we lasted 10 mins there before flagging down a taxi. From the minute we arrived we were like lambs to the slaughter...... everyone had handbags and watches to sell.... and little else...... not the most prcatical things for a backpacker to be stocking up on. Although leaving very quickly with our tails between our legs...... this gave us a chance to head to more sophicated shopping experience - The mall of the emirates. Seriously.... they have far too much oil over here as they just build stuff for fun. This Huge mall has the 3rd largest snowdome in the world running through the middle of it, and has the only black run (very steep) in the world. After shopping for a while....we ate..... then smoked the tradional Sheesha Pipes.... which would have gone down better with a cold beer!!!!

Although we have only been here for 4 days we have seen enough of Dubai to want to come back with some serious $$$....... ive promised Bex a week in the Burj al Arab (7 star hotel)...... little does she know that this is the Burj al harab, and not the Burj al Arab!! The 4 days went very quickly here and we would highly recommend the place as we didnt even scratch the surface with stuff to do.

Asia here we come! x







Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 71; dbt: 0.087s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb