Bangkok.........The start of the trip.


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
July 5th 2007
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post


We landed in Bangkok around 8pm...... and were both a bit nervous of what to expect, yet glad we had booked into a hotel to ease ourselves in gently. Right from the start we were wondering about the airport looking for how to get out of the place...... and how not to get scammed from day 1. After managing to get a taxi right across town, we arrived at our hotel in Sukhumvit.... and was upgraded to a whole apartment of this hotel, leading right outside to the pool. We werent sure if this was a blessing as we were conscious of having to adjust from 5* down to quarter of a star hostels in the next couple of days..... although you dont look a gift horse in the mouth... (we didnt!)

We headed out in a taxi to the nearby strip in nana road to experience Thai nightlife..... which left us a bit shocked!!! First of all was the traffic and the driving - i mean i was once called the most erratic driver one of my previous bosses has ever met..... but even im tame and relaxed behind the wheel compared to this!! There was row upon row of bars with scantily clad thai girls sitting outside them, people cooking on carts in the street, tuk tuks, shop stalls absolutely everywhere, and the minute your western face appears the constant drone of 'hello sir', 'hello lady', 'you like to buy something from my shop'!! Welcome to the next 4 months!!

Leaving the luxurious surroundings of our hotel we headed to the legendary Khao San road, where we had booked a hostel for the night. At less than a tenner a night we didnt know what to expect... but at first appearances it looked alright! Took the best part of an hour to get across town as the traffice was horrendous....... for the grand sum of 1.80 (GBP - theres no pound sign on this keyboard)

We dumped our stuff down and took off to view the Grand Palace! Now the one thing you have to be wary of when going anywhere in bangkok is advice people give you..... especially tuk tuk drivers on the street. Outside the hostel we were hounded by them, asking if we could be driven anywhere. Once we told them where we wanted to go...... out came the stories of how the palace is closed today, and maybe they should take us somewhere better! Kinda funny as we were walking round the palace less than 20 mins later! The palace itself is huge and architectually impressive... well worth a visit if your passing by!!

After a day of adjusting we hit the nearby bars for some much needed alcohol...... if were are going to cope without not fully knowing or wanting to know what lies under the bed..... beer/cocktails/spirits and anything that contains alcohol is the only way to cope!!

The next day we woke up early for our bus trip to cambodia..... and whilst packing one of our new found friends crawled across the bed and was heading for bex... who was still contemplating straightening her hair (bless her!).... who screamed!!!! Let the fun and games begin!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



20th July 2007

Hoorah for Asia!
Hey both! It is so exciting reading your adventures while i sit here in the rain! How funny Trix that you were told the palace was closed - told you! xxx
21st July 2007

Thanks for the advice!
I know thanks for the advice we weren't going to fall for that one! We have had a bit of sun the last few days but has also been rain, rain, rain here too, at least it's hot though!

Tot: 0.235s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 76; dbt: 0.1463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb