Dubai Shopping Festival


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Dubai
January 31st 2007
Published: January 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Dubai is in the midst of the annual 45 day shopping festival . There are people here from all over the Arab world shopping for everything from private airplanes ,gold,diamonds,silks and satins ,cars and ALL things that are found in malls ,and entertainment. The city has been compared to both Hong Kong and New York visually and for the goods it has for sale.

In addition to shopping there are cultural activities including the Heritage Village which we explored last night that has many demonstration sites , food creation ,arabian horses , pearl diving ,traditional clothing design and music and dance. I especially enjoyed the bagpipe/drumming group and regret that we didn't get to see the brass band preform.

Earlier in the week we had gone to the Global Village which is llike a worlds fair. There are pavillions set up by different countries to showcase talent and merchandise from their country. We were there for 8 hours and saw about half of what was offered. It was great fun .The Global Theatre offered a laser light and water show that was wonderful followed by fireworks that had the audience cheering.

Tonight we are off to see Cirque de soleil .It will be the first time I see them and I am looking forward to the experience.

Hope all is well

Advertisement



31st January 2007

Happy shopping
Pam this sounds terrific; I though of Dubai as city compared to NY and Hong Kong. I will look forward to seeing your pictures. I got your package on monday; thank you for the birthday wishes. We went to Cirque de soleil in Orlando; it was a Canadian troup and was wonderful.

Tot: 0.406s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb