Dubai UAE - Day 8 - Dubai Creek etc


Advertisement
Published: July 2nd 2019
Edit Blog Post

We decided on an adhoc day for today, as we were waning slightly from always running around.

We walked the couple of kilometres from our hotel along the creek to the souks. It was interesting seeing all the different dinner boats parked up.

Later along the creek were all the shipping dhows. These are wooden boats used to ship supplies to places like India. They will ship everything by this method. We saw air conditioning units, fridges and freezers, tyres, cans on juice and fabric on our short walk past their boats.

On our last visit to the souks we were a bit overwhelmed by people always trying to sell us items. It was no different today. A very hard sell which is off putting but bartering paradise if you have the required techniques.

We did wander into one of the spice shops and bought a few little bits, but left the area after that as not keen on the pressure to look and buy all the time.

We walked back towards our hotel and away from the touristic areas around the souks and the creek and found a little local Indian restaurant for a light lunch. It was already busy inside when we got there, but they found us places up next to the cash register. The food as normal with these establishments was very tasty and spicy. This time, it came with a complimentary soup that looked like pea soup and was very tasty and a good palate cleanser.

After lunch, we did not feel like the short walk back to the hotel in the heat, so jumped on the metro.

After a short siesta, we are off this afternoon to our favourite fish restaurant in Dubai – Bu Qtair. This restaurant is nowhere near the metro, so we got a bus for the hour long journey.

Even though today is Thursday and many of the locals like to go out for dinner, we were pleased to see that the restaurant was not too busy when we got there.

After choosing a nice sized fish we waited about half an hour for that and some prawns to be cooked for us.

We ordered some bread and sauce to go with the fish and prawns and everything was delicious. We managed to polish it all off between us. This is local culture.

The bus back arrived within a few minutes of us arriving at the stop. It felt like the driver was nearing the end of his shift as he was constantly driving a little erratically. No problem, we made it back quicker than we thought and just about in one piece.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0239s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb