Abu Dhabi


Advertisement
Published: March 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

As-salaam alaykum (greeting) from UAE in The Middle East. I arrived at Dubai airport at 5.30am so it was still dark. I got off the plane onto the tarmac to board a bus to drive to the terminal (this place is huge) and was hit by the cold! After Singapore I was freezing and had to put a jacket on, not what I expected. After a long process getting through customs I finally found myself outside the... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 59, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Date PalmsDate Palms
Date Palms

These filled the whole oasis and made you forget you were in the middle of a bustling, noisy city.
Still in the oasisStill in the oasis
Still in the oasis

The little huts behind Nabih had pumps in them I think because water was running out of the pipe above the roof. There were big tanks here and there as well.
Just to prove I was thereJust to prove I was there
Just to prove I was there

We came across this wonderful cafe/restaurant in the middle of the oasis. It's modelled on an Arab tent with beautiful cool interior. We went in for lunch.
Here we areHere we are
Here we are

I just love this seating.
This was the first courseThis was the first course
This was the first course

I just love this food! My favourite dish of the mezze was the pureed aubergine with pommegranate on top.
Next stop is the livestock souq (market)Next stop is the livestock souq (market)
Next stop is the livestock souq (market)

We went here after a visit to the museum which was very worthwhile to learn about the history here. This souq is right next to the museum in the centre of the city. The pens cracked me up, can you see what they are?
Looking at a pen from the other end.Looking at a pen from the other end.
Looking at a pen from the other end.

What a great use for old broken down trucks! The front ends were propped up to slope the deck. The back tyres were flat and perished. These guys were waiting for business.
But I didn't need a cute little goat todayBut I didn't need a cute little goat today
But I didn't need a cute little goat today

Could have done with a camel but they were all sold. Saw one sitting on the back of a little ute flying down the freeway looking very pleased with itself.
These look familiar?These look familiar?
These look familiar?

Apparently everything is sold here from Brahmin cattle to Persian cats but we went in the afternoon when trading was probably over and only saw sheep and goats.
Another coffee break on the way homeAnother coffee break on the way home
Another coffee break on the way home

Cate and I thought we could turn this place into an authentic Arabian cafe like the one where we had lunch.
This view is the reason whyThis view is the reason why
This view is the reason why

It was beautiful in this early evening light, the photo doesn't do it justice.
Just after a lovely sunset we saw  on the way home.Just after a lovely sunset we saw  on the way home.
Just after a lovely sunset we saw on the way home.

Back to Abu Dhabi now and a quick stop at another corniche. People were fishing here and there were mangroves on the other side. Abu Dhabi is an island so has beaches and lots of nice parks and gardens by the water. Really pretty. Pauline reflecting on the day.
View across the road from the last photo.View across the road from the last photo.
View across the road from the last photo.

A typical scene here. The prayers were being called to the mosque as I took this photo. This happens five times a day and the chant comes out of speakers up on the mosque at dawn, noon, afternoon, sunset and evening. People stop what they are doing and pray anywhere facing Makkah (mecca) if they can't go to the mosque. I saw a taxi on the side of the road with the driver on the footpath praying while the people sat in the taxi and waited.
A fitting photo to end this blogA fitting photo to end this blog
A fitting photo to end this blog

Cate and Nabih treated Pauline and I to a very special day. I learned so much about the Arab people and their culture. The Middle East is a fascinating place. It is also safe and the people are welcoming. Thanks so much my friends for making these memories for me today. "I'm on the road again....."



7th March 2006

WOW!
sounds like you are having a blast! big hugs... me
7th March 2006

blog
Loving the chance to read this and see where you are, keep up the good work. How amazing to see Cate after all this time. Travel safely, love from the Boles family.
8th March 2006

Loving your blog!! It is great to read and look at the photos - especially if I,ve been there. You're giving me itchy feet again! Keep up the good work - glad to hear everything is going well.
8th March 2006

i like arab food too
looks ok there and 5 star touring
8th March 2006

We remember
Dee This brought back lots of lovely memories of our time in Abu Dhabi. We understand your comment about the photos not doing justice as it is so hard to capture the essence of the colours. Your photos were great, so good to have an update on the new buildings near Cate's place. You too have shared the joy of being with Cate and Nabih. Regards Julia and Naomi (sisters of Cate).
8th March 2006

from Glenbrook
I'm hooked Dee, I feel like I'm with you. Keep all the photos and commentary coming! It's great. God bless and keep you, Jen
9th March 2006

Hi Dee Am negotiating your messages really well and LOVING them. Really glad that all is well with you and looking forward to your next communication. You are a technical wizz!!

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 18; dbt: 0.0215s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb