Abu Dhabi


Advertisement
Published: March 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

As-salaam alaykum (greeting) from UAE in The Middle East. I arrived at Dubai airport at 5.30am so it was still dark. I got off the plane onto the tarmac to board a bus to drive to the terminal (this place is huge) and was hit by the cold! After Singapore I was freezing and had to put a jacket on, not what I expected. After a long process getting through customs I finally found myself outside the... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 59, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

There's another oneThere's another one
There's another one

Nabih made a few photo stops along the way. This is Cate's car, a Volvo.
A better viewA better view
A better view

My photos really don't do the dunes justice.
Now why did I take this one?Now why did I take this one?
Now why did I take this one?

Can you see the horses...now you know why! This is the roundabout at the entrance of Al Ain. The cities here all have millions of roundabouts and they are decorated with giant horses, camels, coffee pots, etc. This huge roundabout has 4 big horses jumping.
That's a palace behind usThat's a palace behind us
That's a palace behind us

It's at the foot of the mountain we've come to see. We think it's the Emir's wife's palace.
Nice public  playground area in front of the palaceNice public  playground area in front of the palace
Nice public playground area in front of the palace

The green is a dramatic contrast to what lies just metres away.
Yes, there is a fountain over there!Yes, there is a fountain over there!
Yes, there is a fountain over there!

Why.....because this area, Al Ain, was built on an oasis so it has a rich Bedouin heritage. The other side of the oasis is actually in the country nextdoor, Oman. Al Ain is the birthplace of Sheikh Zayed and thanks to his patronage is undergoing a huge greening program, possible when you've got loads of oil!
And here is the water that runs outAnd here is the water that runs out
And here is the water that runs out

That's my toes dabbling in the water on the left. I was suprised to find I couldn't have a wade around in it. It burn't my feet it was so hot!
The edge of the mountainThe edge of the mountain
The edge of the mountain

It doesn't look too big in this photo but the drive to the top was very long on a steep windy road.
And so to the top of the mountainAnd so to the top of the mountain
And so to the top of the mountain

It was a bit hazy for the photo to show the desert stretching off into the distance. What a magical feeling up there!
This is the palace of the crown prince of Abu DhabiThis is the palace of the crown prince of Abu Dhabi
This is the palace of the crown prince of Abu Dhabi

Note the covered walkway out to the "room with a view" and a sheer drop! See the green bit. The water tankers must do a roaring trade here!
An Arab family enjoy the view.An Arab family enjoy the view.
An Arab family enjoy the view.

Like all the Arab men he's in his spotless, pressed white dishdash and she's covered in her black abaya. Some of the women have nothing showing at all. Underneath they wear beautiful clothes that are only seen when they are in their home.
How does he keep so clean?How does he keep so clean?
How does he keep so clean?

I'd spill something on it for sure but it looks so comfy and cool to wear. There are lots of laundries in town and I can see why so many are needed.
Just to show where we areJust to show where we are
Just to show where we are

Here's Cate's car at the top of this jagged 1350m limestone mountain called Jebel Hafeet. It has views out over the plains of UAE and Oman.
The newly built Grand Mercure Hotel, UAEThe newly built Grand Mercure Hotel, UAE
The newly built Grand Mercure Hotel, UAE

Same as the one in Queenstown Dan and Em. It's just below the top of the mountain so has the palace for it's neighbour. We did a loo stop there....rather flash! This area is becoming a tourist hotspot.
Back down to the bottom again and a tea stop in the park next to the female only area.Back down to the bottom again and a tea stop in the park next to the female only area.
Back down to the bottom again and a tea stop in the park next to the female only area.

There are special areas in parks, on beaches, in buses etc for the women and girls.
Me, Cate and Pauline, the coffee pot and the mountain.Me, Cate and Pauline, the coffee pot and the mountain.
Me, Cate and Pauline, the coffee pot and the mountain.

Since it's the only mountain around here and it's really big it kinda stands out so they made the coffee pot to match. Pauline is one of Cate's colleagues at her school and she shared this lovely day with us too.
An Arab stallion having a sleepAn Arab stallion having a sleep
An Arab stallion having a sleep

Excitement...we came across stables and paddocks with horses just down the road under the mountain. The paddocks are sand. I just had to go in and have a look.
The stables, very basicThe stables, very basic
The stables, very basic

There were at least a dozen horses in stalls here and a friendly goat and rooster type birds.
Another nice fellowAnother nice fellow
Another nice fellow

It was very hot and the horses were having their afternoon siesta.
Wagon around the backWagon around the back
Wagon around the back

The quad bike alongside a bit of a contrast but that is typical here.
Next stop was inside the oasis in the city.Next stop was inside the oasis in the city.
Next stop was inside the oasis in the city.

It was behind big stone walls with narrow cobbled roads all through it. Under the canopy of date palms it was cool and very tranquil. There's little irrigation channels (falaj) all through. It's privately owned, lots of people having their own little plot.



7th March 2006

WOW!
sounds like you are having a blast! big hugs... me
7th March 2006

blog
Loving the chance to read this and see where you are, keep up the good work. How amazing to see Cate after all this time. Travel safely, love from the Boles family.
8th March 2006

Loving your blog!! It is great to read and look at the photos - especially if I,ve been there. You're giving me itchy feet again! Keep up the good work - glad to hear everything is going well.
8th March 2006

i like arab food too
looks ok there and 5 star touring
8th March 2006

We remember
Dee This brought back lots of lovely memories of our time in Abu Dhabi. We understand your comment about the photos not doing justice as it is so hard to capture the essence of the colours. Your photos were great, so good to have an update on the new buildings near Cate's place. You too have shared the joy of being with Cate and Nabih. Regards Julia and Naomi (sisters of Cate).
8th March 2006

from Glenbrook
I'm hooked Dee, I feel like I'm with you. Keep all the photos and commentary coming! It's great. God bless and keep you, Jen
9th March 2006

Hi Dee Am negotiating your messages really well and LOVING them. Really glad that all is well with you and looking forward to your next communication. You are a technical wizz!!

Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1004s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb