Turkey's Magical Highways Day 13


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey
October 21st 2014
Published: October 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Olga's YachtOlga's YachtOlga's Yacht

Russian yacht we nick-named Olga -- it seemed to follow us around although it was an extra fancy speed boat compared to our Gulet.
Day 13, October 21, 2014 -- Today, we anchored near a beach next to Cleopatra's Baths. I suggested to our guide that for future trips he ought to bring along the movie of Cleopatra with Elizabeth Taylor & Richard Burton. Many of us (me included) had to be brought up to speed on Cleopatra. I am not sure if the facts are correct, but she was 15 when she died after having married Mark Antony and Julius Caeser was also in the picture somewhere. To honor her as Queen, Mark Antony gave her a wedding gift of all the land and seas of the Turquoise Coast. According to our guide, there are numerous spots named after her including Cleopatra's Baths, Mountain, Cove etc. Of course, these are all stories that noone can prove but it is fun to think that we bathed in Cleopatra's Bath water.

In the morning, most of the group did not take a long (3.5 hour trek) up into the mountainous area. However, we were proud of Linda, Bob & Dennis who did the climb -- even though they were pretty well zonked out the rest of the day. I will include pictures of the ruins
Cleopatra's BathsCleopatra's BathsCleopatra's Baths

Mostly submerged in the Mediterranean Sea.
of what is said to be the baths. Much is under water but the collonades suggest a haman (baths). Turquoise is a perfect name for the coast as that is the true color. It is because the water is deep and clean. It is quite clear -- problem is that it has been mostly fished out. We have seen little wild-life on this trip, either in the sea or on land. However, while the others were on their trek we saw about 6 loggerhead turtles -- all separately swimming by our gullet.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Arya Yachting Cruise GuletArya Yachting Cruise Gulet
Arya Yachting Cruise Gulet

This is our Gulet we lived on for 4 nights in the Mediterranean Sea


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb