Turkey's Magical Highways Day 12


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey
October 21st 2014
Published: October 22nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

We boarded the gullet last night and had a restful evening as the boat gently rocked side by side. I felt like a baby in it's cradle. We made land on a small beach in the Bay of Gemiler and visited Kayakoy, a Greek "ghost town". During the 1920's The Anatolian Greeks were relocated to Greece and the Turks that were in Greece were relocated back to Turkey. This was the aftermath of the Turkish War of Independence. 1.2 million people were up-rooted, including our guide's grandparents who had a vineyard in Greece, but had to loose it all and be relocated to Turkey to start all over again. It was devastating to many, as one would imagine. The ghost town once had 600 houses and we were able to walk the streets and look in. I took the low road where it was safer and less strenuous.

We visited a 6th century Byzantine monastery with ancient churches on Gemiler Island. The picture of the hanging head was at a gift shop run by what I would call a Hippie. Interesting lady who sold all sorts of things that she put together herself. Many bought some of her jewelry. Linda,
Ghost townGhost townGhost town

660 houses on side of hill -- abandoned when Greeks were kicked out of Turkey. Just a few are lived in currently.
Bob & I elected to go swimming in the Mediterranean. I would guess the water was in the mid 70's and swimming was lovely!!! Only problem is that Linda and I both got bitten by jelly fish. I was absolutely miserable for a few hours -- rubbing lemon on the bites and then taking Benadryl. After a few hours it all went away, thank goodness!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Shop at Ghost TownShop at Ghost Town
Shop at Ghost Town

Shop run by a "hippie" -- this is a potted plant (head) outside the shop.


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb