The Palace.


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey
April 22nd 2012
Published: April 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After airconditioning problems overnight- at 1.30am visit from the guy at reception - we all had a late start. We decided to head to the sultans palace to get some culture. As it was sunday there were huge lines everywhere, we bit the bullet and paid above market rate for the tickets to get a private guide. Two hours included touring the Harem, all very interesting. It was really really packed but still enjoyable.



We then headed through the park - OK we were lost abit again. The park was full of locals just strolling and used to be part of the palace gardens. Everytime we get lost Greg and I have words, usually its my fault, I just think I know the way and then am very indignant that he didn't stop me from leading us astray OR he should know the way, and he should know it NOW!!. We eventually embraced being lost and had lunch locally before heading to the spice markets.



From there we walked through the local markets - we were the only tourists around and NO ONE spoke any english so our turkish was put to the test - managed to buy a satchel for Kasey so did OK. The walk was pretty much all up hill on cobbled stones and took us by the grand bazaar which was closed. It was intense both in terms of exercise and cultural experience.



Bought local stuff at their equivatent of ALDI - all caught up on some rest - until more aircondiditoning problems!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0488s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb