Turkey Part One


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey
May 14th 2006
Published: May 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

"Aya Sofya" in the heart of Old Istanbul"Aya Sofya" in the heart of Old Istanbul"Aya Sofya" in the heart of Old Istanbul

Our first tour day in Istanbul takes in the main sights of Sultanahmet starting with this enormous, beautiful building which was started in about 530AD and for the next 1000 years was the largest church in Christendom. The minarets were added during later centuries when it became a mosque. Still an incredible feat of architecture today.
Merhaba (hello) family and friends and welcome to Part One of Turkiye.

I'm actually now in Russia and have spent much of my first weekend here doing this blog. Hopefully next weekend will produce Part Two! I start my new job here tomorrow so will fit in the catching up of several more blogs around adjusting to another culture and learning a new job. I hope you are inspired to go to Turkey when you look at my photos which are only a sample of what Turkiye has to offer.

This country of 70 million people, predominantly Muslim, bridges two continents; 3% lying in Europe and 97% in Asia. It has Europe and the Aegean Sea to the west, Caucasus Mountains to the east, Black Sea to the north and Mediterranean Sea to the south with 7000km of coastline in all. My tour did a loop around the Western half of the country starting and ending in Istanbul. This huge city, established as Byzantium, later became Constantinople and is today modern Istanbul with more than 4 times the number of people as my whole country! It has been an important centre for civilisation since ancient times. We visited grand
Inside Aya SofyaInside Aya SofyaInside Aya Sofya

It is still stunning today. The original surviving gilded mosaics are beautiful and thanks to the muslims were only covered and not destroyed.
palaces, mosques, bazaars, tea houses, shops, restaurants, bars and much more. In contrast we then travelled out into the countryside and saw little villages where time seems to have stood still. I was astonished by the variety from rich agricultural farmland where I saw horses pulling ploughs, to snow capped mountains and volcanoes, to beautiful beaches and numerous natural wonders, some of which you'll see in the photos. Add to this all the famous Roman, Greek and Ottoman Empire sites and the mix between Eastern and Western cultures, traditions, architecture and religion you understand why Turkiye is such an amazing country. I didn't know any of its history before the tour and hope I can remember some of what I learnt on the tour thanks to Gokhan, our very knowledgable guide.

The tour group consisted of about 30 people, all Kiwi or Aussie with one Canadian and all in their 20's (I became 20 with 29 years experience for the duration of the tour!). Most of them are working in London and doing their OE right now. We had 5 nurses, a doctor, an orthodontal lab person, 4 teachers, 2 vets, a farmer, a tennis coach, a paintball person,
Topkapi Palace nearby was next stopTopkapi Palace nearby was next stopTopkapi Palace nearby was next stop

The sultans lived here from 1462 to the 19th century. The palace kitchens now hold collections of porcelain, silver and crystal. In the treasury are gold and jewels. It also includes the harem where the sultan's family lived in hundreds of rooms. The beautiful gardens look out over the water. It must have been like a paradise in the time of the sultans.
a podiatrist, a chef, a driller, an electrician, a flavour scientist, a journalist plus IT, banking, insurance, events and marketing people (sorry if I forgot anyone). We had come to Turkey specifically to take part in this ANZAC tour. I wasn't really sure what to expect but it turned out to be a fantastic experience with loads of fun and an eye-opener to this part of the world. I'd like to thank all of the group for making it such a memorable time and being like one big happy family. Of course thanks must go to Gokhan and our bus driver Otto who were just marvellous. It really was a once in a lifetime experience!

There were many highlights, with Anzac at Gallipoli a stand out but that will have to be in the next blog. Ballooning over Cappadocia, a traditional Turkish Bath and cruising the Med also come to mind along with the all the sightseeing and social nights. There were special extras (Easter Hunt, Trivia, poems, slide show, punch on the roof.....) that made this an awesome tour. Thanks Brigadiers!

Hoscakal (goodbye)
Love Dee






Additional photos below
Photos: 69, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Guard at the palace gateGuard at the palace gate
Guard at the palace gate

Managed to get him to smile.
The Blue MosqueThe Blue Mosque
The Blue Mosque

A short walk through the perfectly kept gardens, where there are masses of tulips in full bloom, brings us to this famous place. Apparently tulips originated here. The flowers in the city were stunning at this time in spring.
Inside The Blus MosqueInside The Blus Mosque
Inside The Blus Mosque

The inside walls are tiled and blue, hence the name, but this doesn't really show in the photo. Note the pattern of the carpet for praying in the right direction. A magnificent building.
The Brigadier Tour GroupThe Brigadier Tour Group
The Brigadier Tour Group

The first photo of our happy bunch. You can easily spot me because I'm the youngest one! You can also see the six minarets on the Blue Mosque. The start of a brilliant tour!
The Hippodrome from the 3rd centuryThe Hippodrome from the 3rd century
The Hippodrome from the 3rd century

Byzantine chariot races took place here. The obelisk in the background came from Karnak Temple where I'd been in Egypt and dates back over 3000 years. The obelisk in the foreground was once covered in bronze.
Underground CisternUnderground Cistern
Underground Cistern

Just across the street is this huge underground cistern with masses of columns from different ages. It was once full of water for times of war and rediscovered not that long ago. Today it has enough water in it for the goldfish, walkways for the tourists, eerie lighting, and of course the giant medusa.
Three on rooftop at happy hourThree on rooftop at happy hour
Three on rooftop at happy hour

Netty, Shaneo and Bex admiring the view over Istanbul after the first day. A few drinks up here at sunset....what a great way to kick off the tour!
There goes the sunThere goes the sun
There goes the sun

Michael, Liz, Felicity and me. Spot the minarets on the horizon, they are everywhere you look.
Mausoleum of Ataturk in AnkaraMausoleum of Ataturk in Ankara
Mausoleum of Ataturk in Ankara

Next day we drove to Turkey's capital city and visited this majestic tomb and memorial to Turkey's first President. Beneath it is a very moving display of the Gallipoli battle as well as Ataturk's personal belongings. He is still much loved by the people. Bex, Sarah, Ali and Katie in deep discussion.
Can you see what's in the back window of the bus?Can you see what's in the back window of the bus?
Can you see what's in the back window of the bus?

Our bus was also decked out in Aussie and Kiwi flags. This was another tour group like ours that we kept passing on the rest of the journey. In fact we got to know them by the end of the tour (some better than others!) Great roads here on high plains with lots of agriculture and no fences.
Efes on the busEfes on the bus
Efes on the bus

The local beer is Efes and much was consumed on the bus during the long hours of driving. Turkey is a vast country and we did a circuit of the western half of it which included some long drives made fun with the daily theme...great stuff Steve and the two Nicks!
Goreme Open-Air Museum in the centre of TurkeyGoreme Open-Air Museum in the centre of Turkey
Goreme Open-Air Museum in the centre of Turkey

This valley is amazing with its wierd shapes of eroded volcanic rock. What makes it really amazing is that carved into it are churches, houses, stables, etc dating from the 8th century! We climbed through these homes of the early Christians that you can see behind Dione and Anna.
Mural inside one of the cross-shaped churchesMural inside one of the cross-shaped churches
Mural inside one of the cross-shaped churches

These painted murals have survived centuries in here.
The entrance to the museum overlooking the valleyThe entrance to the museum overlooking the valley
The entrance to the museum overlooking the valley

Nicky and I were room-mates for the tour. We had a great time, thanks Nicky. We planned to meet again in Russia but just missed each other. It'll have to be back down-under to meet again now Nicky.
Next stop the pottery shopNext stop the pottery shop
Next stop the pottery shop

Generations of this family have perfected the beautiful pottery made here. We were given a demo of the process which looked so easy until Liz, suitably attired in the baggy pants, took to the wheel! Way to go Liz but your hand technique needs a bit of practise.
Tear vase in my handTear vase in my hand
Tear vase in my hand

This tiny vase was made in the demo. I ended up buying one because I really liked the story behind its meaning so it's my souvenir of Turkey.
Lovely pottery  egg for Easter SundayLovely pottery  egg for Easter Sunday
Lovely pottery egg for Easter Sunday

Rachel, me and Nicky in the pottery shop. Theme for this day "Super Sunday" and it was Easter Sunday. Lots of interesting pottery was bought (and some later broken...oh dear)
Lunch stop..is it kebabs on the menu or buffet?Lunch stop..is it kebabs on the menu or buffet?
Lunch stop..is it kebabs on the menu or buffet?

Plenty of Efes on the table at one of the many outdoor meals. Apart from the first day in Istanbul which was showery and cold we enjoyed beautiful weather for the trip. All the London-based Kiwis and Aussies soaked up the sun after their winter.


16th May 2006

Turkey
Many thanks for the sights. Can almost feel we are there. What a surprise to meet up with Micheal. Must tell the Adams's next door-they are Micheals 2nd home when he is here.Frosts here this morning.Brrr!! Hope all is well with you.Take care. Looking foreward to the next blog
17th May 2006

Kia ora Dee. Great to see you in Turkey and hoping all is going with in Russia. Keep having a wonderful time. Arohanui. Aroha
17th May 2006

Amazing pictures!
Wow - your tour of Turkey was pretty amazing! I loved your pictures. It looks like you had a wonderful time. I keep an eye on these blogs because I like to see what others witness when they come to Turkiye - I lived there for 2 years and am returning (eventually...). I'm glad you got over your bug - it would have been unfortunate to have been sick in Fethiye! I still haven't done the balloon tour of Cappadocia, but it's on my list! It looks like it was phenomenal. Great blog!
17th May 2006

Thanls Dee. Very Well done, inpires me to do the same with my photos!!! Enjoy Russia, I am sure that it will be great!!
17th May 2006

Thanks for the blog - looking forward to the one from Gallipoli. Must show these ones to Janice and Mev - they will recognise so many places! Istanbul looks the same as it did to us 33 years ago!!! I be the ouzo and raki taste the same too!
17th May 2006

A Great Life
What a terrific trip you are having. Thanks so much for all of the photos - really inspiring. Keep enjoying.
19th May 2006

Hey Dee - page looks great. I had a wonderful time with you in turkey. Hope Russia is going well, i only had 2 weeks, I don't know about 6mths though. Hope you settle in soon and can't wait for the 2nd half of turkey. No wonder you were in the internet cafe for 6 hours that day. See you Nicky
21st May 2006

Great Page
Hi Dee page looks great brought back some great memories. Glad to hear you have arrived safely in Russia. Have a great time and keep in touch.
22nd May 2006

You are an awesome blogger! I am definately going to have to add all of these amazing places onto my list when I go on my OE!! They all look incredible and it looks like you are having an amazing time! xox
23rd May 2006

Hi Dee. Istanbul brought back many memories of the 60s. The rest just reinforces my desire to make Turkey before too long. Head off in 2 weeks for Europe so contact may be a bit less often for a while. Am really enjoying your blogs and am very impressed with your technical skills. Charles
24th May 2006

Great work with journals Dee. May put Turkey on the must see list. Hope the work prospect is not too daunting
27th May 2006

You have shot up my "most admired" list!
You bring each chapter alive Dee. What a fantastic trip!! Good luck with the job. I hope it's not too challenging and you can settle after all the travelling!!
25th June 2006

Wonderful !
We enjoy reading your blogs so much ! what a wonderful thing to experience all that you are doing and the places you've been.aunty Mary said she had a call on Allisons birthday - it means so much- Go well and God Bless

Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 9; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0879s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb