I feel like Turkish delight...like Turkish delight!


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey
April 17th 2010
Published: May 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After a very annoying breakfast in Budapest, trying to fight through a shit ton of obnoxious teenagers that were staying at our hotel for food...we flew to Turkey and to our surprise received a meal on like a 2 hour flight...oh joy!

We had trouble finding a hotel at first, then we finally found a hostel that Lonely Planet recommended, but it ended up being shit hole run shady characters.

Getting to Istanbul was like entering another universe from where we were! Huge mosques, Muslim prayer calls, hectic streets, etc.

Right away we found ourselves some Turkish delights and pistachio baklava and proceeded to "make party"!

At dinner we sat next to a really nice older couple from the US, that were stranded there due to the eruption of the Icelandic volcano. We laughed, we cried, showed pictures of our kids, shared stories, contemplated swinging, then went about our merry day.

The next day, we did most of our sightseeing at the major spots and it was amazing! The Aya Sofia, Blue Mosque, Archaeological museum, some park...

They make these amazing baked potatoes with a various number of condiments...the potato is mashed up on the inside, usually with like cheese or butter. The fresh juice here is amazing ass well and it's everywhere!

Anywho, we found a new hotel which was much nicer and their rooftop bar was actually open! We got some beers and made party.

We also, tried some Turkish coffee which is similar to the consistency of mud, but they give you water with it so you can make it less muddy...no worries.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Basilica CisternBasilica Cistern
Basilica Cistern

Medusa's head!


Tot: 0.234s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 54; dbt: 0.144s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb