No I Can Not!


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Mediterranean » Antalya
December 10th 2009
Published: March 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The next morning Firaz decided to take us to the place were he had the boat tour yesterday. He told us that he got the chance to do a tour with his brother and sister on their own private yacht for 10 lihar each (about 7 AUD). We decided we wanted some of that also.

We got to the harbor – not too far from our hotel and were greeted with an onslaught of the boats people many of whom spoke a variety of different languages including Dutch, German and English.

They were very keen on our business – probably due to the lack of demand for the boats during the winter season. Unfortunately most of them did not meet our price requirements as Firaz put it oh so well – I’m sorry sir, but no I cannot.

We had the man on the boat – pleading – begging us to please just get on his boat – he would give us all the free coffee and tea that we needed if only we would just please get onto his boat.

We agreed on a ridiculously low price with him and sat on his boat. And waited the 5 minutes he assured us it would take for the boat to sail.

20 minutes later and his full paying customers giving up on the waiting having left the boat still stood stationary as when we had arrived.

We decided to leave. He did not look at us as he returned our money. We walked to the edge of the pier to have a look at the water’s edge and along the coast of Antalya.

We were about to give up hope of ever going on one of these boats when lo and behold we noticed that one of the boat drivers who had agreed for the four of us to go on his boat for 20 Turkish lihars (14AUD for all four) had passengers on it and was departing. We ran up to him and he said too late and he would not let us on for 20 lihars. We offered him 30 and he told us to run onto the boat and make sure that we did not tell the other passengers.


It was a run indeed and we literally had to jump on board – which involved a bit of a climb and a roll on board. The Welsh guys on our trip had no idea what was going on but they were impressed. They were part of a golfing tour.

We spent the next two hours cruising the Antalyan coast and relaxing in the sun. The highlight of the cruise was the massive waterfall which got me and Firaz absolutely drenched.

After the cruise we headed for a walk around town and visited the archaeology museum, drooling over the rock climbing routes we pass.



The museum had a lot of interesting artifacts and statues from ancient time’s way before Christ.

But the best thing about the museum was the Turkish kids who came to visit. They were on a school excursion and got so excited when they saw us.

I was walking a little bit away from everybody and all of a sudden I had a swarm of kids surrounding me. They were very excited and asking me all the questions they knew in English – which mainly consisted of name and age.

I was pretty impressed I started taking photos of them. Their teacher came and scolded the kids, trying to get them to stop bothering the tourists. Most dispersed, however I had about 5 faithful followers, including a girl, who told me she loved me and took to stroking my hair lovingly.

Eventually they were also scooped up by their teacher and we were left to see the museum on our own. Somehow it wasn’t as fun. Lunch was fish by the sea with a sty of cats on the prowl for any morsel of food that may so happen to fall on the floor.

Me, Ivan and Firaz took a walk down to the beach after lunch whilst dad headed back to the hotel.

Ivan decided to take the tram back whilst me and Firaz walked and started the great expedition for the meringue.

We eventually found the meringue close to the old town. Back at the hostel I joined Ivan and dad in dinner and in the evening we headed for our 11pm bus to Tasucu.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb