A blustery day at the Harbour


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Mediterranean » Alanya
February 8th 2013
Published: February 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We decided to set off for a walk round the harbour and towards the shipyards. Although in the 20’s the wind was pretty blustery and the waves smashing off the rocks and the sea wall were fabulous. Alanya has two lighthouses to guard the harbour; both are a short walk from the front.



Woolly Says – I loved the big lighthouse; can I be a lighthouse keeper please?



Jumping through the spray and dodging the waves was amazing fun, we arrived at the larger of the two lighthouses which you can climb up when open. It gives an excellent view of the bay of Alanya and shows clearly the development that is making this a top destination.



Woolly says – I got wet in the waves, Jo told me off, but it was such good fun



Leaving the lighthouse behind us we headed to the shipyards. Originally built in 1226 they have been recently refurbished and re-opened to the public. For 4 TL (Turkish Lira) approximately £1.60 Sterling it makes a great trip out (they also do saver tickets to see the Shipyards and the Red Tower combined for 6 TL – a bargain). Walking along the castle walls we were able to see more of the coastline and dodge more of the waves while passing orange, lemon, lime and damson trees which were dripping with ripe fruit. With cannons, catapults and other interesting and well labelled remains of yesteryear it provided plenty of photo opportunities.

Woolly says – I wanted to try the catapult but Jo and Ian wouldn’t let me.



Entering the shipyards was a case of running through the high waves (the Turkish gentleman in charge thought this was hilarious!) before being confronted with the original ship building areas. Each area has further items of historical value and provides excellent information on what they were used for, including the hull of a ship,



Woolly says – I wouldn’t fancy taking it out to sea it was full of holes!



Anchors used from many centuries ago through to current ones and navigational tools and a really good explanation of how these have been developed over the centuries. At the end of the yard area steps rise (very steeply, definitely not a flip flop tour) to the cannon house with its huge ceilings and arrow slot windows. Climbing to the top we were delighted at the fantastic view of the harbour. One point to note, coming from National Trust and English Heritage and the preservation techniques used in the UK, the Turks have developed their own restoration methods which appears to involve replacing old groundings and stonework with concrete – curious.

Woolly says – The shipyards were really good for running up and down and I loved the anchors on display, the views were ok I suppose and Jo had to save me from blowing away from the top parapets, great fun for all ages but the steps were really steep for my little mammoth legs!



Stopping for a coffee at the Pupa bar it was lovely to sit in the sun and watch life moving around us and the local fishermen casting their rods. A lovely day.



Woolly says – I had taken my bucket and spade but didn’t get a chance to use it, Ian says we can go on the beach another day – YIPEE!!!

Have a look at http://www.alanya.tv/en/Historical_Place/AlanyaShipyardtersane/ for more on the history of the shipyards.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb