Day 112: Troy & Pergamum


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Troy
August 18th 2011
Published: August 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This morning we left at 8.30 and we drove half an hour to Troy. On the way our guide told us about the legend of Helen of Troy and once we arrived we looked in the excavation building, and then went for a guided walk around the excavation sites. We learnt alot about the Trojan history which was really interesting. She told us about the 9 Troys, each village built on top of the one before after each one was destroyed, usually by earthquakes. We saw the original fortification walls dating all the way back to the 1st Troy village in 3000BC. We also saw the South Gate entrance to Troy 6, which is where Archilles killed Hector if the legends are true. After a couple of hours at Troy we it back on the bus and headed to Pergamum, which was a 3 hour drive. We stopped for lunch and Sarah and I shared a pide, which is like a pita bread boat with cheese and mince in it, and had a really good ice-cream! At the Pergamum Acropolis we saw the Pergamum library, which was once the 2nd biggest library in the world, the steepest theatre in turkey, and where the temple of Athena and the altar of Zeus used to stand.

We drove another 3 hours to Kusadasi, which was were we were spending the next 3 nights. We stopped for a kebab on the way got to the hotel at about 10.30 so it had been a really long day!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.068s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb