Walking to Tuzla Coast


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
January 8th 2008
Published: January 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

FeyhanFeyhanFeyhan

Cenker's mom Feyhan at Tuzla Coast.
Tuesday afternoon Cenker's mom and I ventured to Tuzla coast, a good 35-40 minute walk, those with longer legs could probably do it in 20 minutes. Attempting to use the little Turkish, I have garnished since the beginning of my visit, we talked about the cars going fast and slow, hızlı and yavaş. Baby talk in a foreign language is so humbling. Listening to conversations, I often hear what sounds like "Jackson," making me think of Michael - it was a "thriller" to find out this week that the "-ecek" ending is the future tense, when added to the base of verb is often "-caksın-". The "c" in Turkish is pronounced like the "j" in joke. Oh the little wonders when learning a foreign language. Luckily for me, in Turkish, I can often communicate without using verbs in my sentences and using many monosyllablic words.
Walking along the Tuzla coast, you can see the capital investments of the country hard at work as people enjoy the new benches, the beautifully landscaped walkways, the bright orange and silver exercise equipment, the untarnished children's playground. It is really cool seeing the older ladies, dressed so nicely, eagerly getting onto the exercise equipment to
Outdoor GymOutdoor GymOutdoor Gym

Exercise equipment can be found all along the water front in Istanbul. The bright orange equipment is hard not to notice. These ladies are enjoying the novelty!
work out. The walkways and streets are spotless to allow full enjoyment of the scenery. Along the way, Cenker's mom and I run into Cenker's dad, who often spends many hours a week hanging out with his friends along the coast, talking and fishing and eating cicerdek (sunflower seeds). After breaking a slight sweat, we start the journey home with Cenker's dad leading the way. Stopping to pick up some tulumba at a little bakery, some oranges, potatoes, onions at the grocery, carrying everything for the 30+ minute walk is exercise in itself, as we walk back through Tuzla to our home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Enjoying the Outdoor GymEnjoying the Outdoor Gym
Enjoying the Outdoor Gym

My favorite gym equipment - the elliptical - at no cost!
Recep coaches FeyhanRecep coaches Feyhan
Recep coaches Feyhan

Cenker's dad coaches Cenker's mom on the exercise equipment.
Kids' PlaygroundKids' Playground
Kids' Playground

New playgrounds also sprinkle the beautiful sea coast.
Fresh Vegetables For SaleFresh Vegetables For Sale
Fresh Vegetables For Sale

A fresh vegetable stand on the street.
TulumbaTulumba
Tulumba

Cenker's mom buys some Tulumba - fried dough in sweet syrup. Tulumba is Cenker's dad's favorite dessert.
Mosque in the NeighborhoodMosque in the Neighborhood
Mosque in the Neighborhood

Some sites along the walk home.
Glad to See HomeGlad to See Home
Glad to See Home

Cenker's family lives on the sixth floor of the building - no elevator - Great way to develop your leg muscles! The first window on the left is where i slept.


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0665s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb