The Modern Istanbul


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul » Beyoglu
March 18th 2011
Published: March 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

What many people (tourists) don't do, whilst in Istanbul, is take the time to travel over to the "Modern Istanbul".
You can catch the tram, for TL(Turkish Lira) 1.75 (this is a flat rate for one trip no matter where you get on or where you get off) - current rate is AUD 1 = TL 1.56, from Sultanahmet (Istanbul Village) over the Bosporus River & to Beyoglu (The Modern Istanbul).
No matter which side of Beyoglu you get off the tram, you've got a fair uphill hike to travel, but definitely worth it.
The first trip was to the end of the tram line, the stop after the University. Most impressive is the surrounding buildings, museums & views across the Bosporus to the Asian side.
The walk up the hill was a test for the unfit.
At the top we came upon the main Soccer stadium, followed by The Hyatt & Inter Continental Hotels. The French & Dutch Embassies are also located here. Then it's all downhill.
This area is a metropolis in its own right. I mean when you have a Starbucks next to a Gloria Jeans then Pizza Hut, KFC, Domino & Burger King motor scooter deliver guys weaving through the throngs (I mean this place is seriously busy) then you've got to be modern. Not only this but the fashions on the street are also way up there.
At the top of your walk, down the other side, you find the financial sector, flash hotels, ritzy restaurants & boutiques.
As you make your way down you can then meander through the alleyways & this is where another side of Istanbul comes together. Mixed in between incredible eateries are seedy looking nightclubs, discos & karaoke bars. On the other side of the main street are derelict old buildings & underground music stores & cafe/bars.
Moving further down you come upon the music stores, selling musical instruments & sound equipment, drums, guitars, microphones, band equipment. Some really serious stuff.
Next you come onto the wedding paraphernalia, invitations, dresses, dowry boxes. There was a section of shops that sold buttons, then other area that were barbers, another section that just sold taps & then the hardware precinct, until you reached the bottom & then you came to the fish mongers & seafood restaurants on the foreshore.
Walking back over the bridge to "Istanbul Village" is the Spice Bazaar, a wondrous wold of smells & sights. Oh to have a bigger bag & someone to carry them.
This area is a kaleidoscope of color, east meets west, women in full burqa walking side by side with local girls in the latest fashions, along cobbled winding alleyways centuries old. Here there is a mix of old wares, knock off clothing & bags, then the real thing. Mercs & BMW's next to hand pushed carts & old yellow fiat taxi cabs, the most modern camera equipment, modernised money changers, pubs & restaurants (using the latest in electronic hand held point of sale ordering devices). If ever there was a city that capitulated a tale of two cities, then Istanbul would have to be that place.
Wow, we've almost made it back to our digs & we've worked up a thirst. Good thing we've got a reasonable sense of direction, we know where there's a nice little pub (with our name on it).
Early night tonight, have a 7am ferry to catch in the morning to start our next leg.
Istanbul is a very colorful city & it would be quite easy to spend at least a week here, don't sell it short & if you get the chance give it a try - you won't be disappointed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



30th March 2011

You're living MY dream!!
Hi Guys Am loving your travel tales - Turkey is my all time favourite, and through you're stories and pics I'm reliving the month I spent in Turkey (about 15 years ago). Sounds like you're having a ball. Take care and have fun. KT x

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb