Bursa - first capital of the Ottoman Empire


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Bursa
October 30th 2005
Published: February 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Inside Ulu CamiiInside Ulu CamiiInside Ulu Camii

cover your head, girl
First time I went to Bursa - 2 hours and a half from my city - it was in October..somewhere in the middle of the first religious holiday. Together with 3 other Romanian girls we decided to travel and meet another Romanian..a boy, an old friend who was with AIESEC there. What I knew before about this city: lots of mosques, history and a mountain. That definitely draw my attention. In my short visit I could see the "Green Tomb" where is burried Osman Gazi ("Ottoman Empire" was named after him...he was the mighty force that created that), Ulu Camii (=mosque), Yeşil Camii (Green Mosque) and Yeşil Türbe (Green Tomb)..and Zafer Plaza (zafer=victory) center where I heard people meet.
On top of one of Ulu mosque was a funny figure..I heard it's called "Karagöz" and there is a story or moreover a legend about "Karagöz and Hacivat" - now puppets in shows for kids. Near the mosque we tried the famous "Iskender", a dish that is one of the symbols of the city...and country. Then...my personal attraction - Uludağ (2543 m according to the books:P)...we took a cable car up the hill and we had the surprise to see no snow..just trees and hills. Apparently it wasn't the season..hehehhe..we took some pictures around (that you might see as soon as I get my cds from home) and then we went home and watched TV.

There weren't so many attractions on Bayram....




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Minaret of Ulu CamiiMinaret of Ulu Camii
Minaret of Ulu Camii

one summer day..
IskenderIskender
Iskender

you MUST eat this as soon as you set foot in Bursa!!!
And she smiled to the camera..And she smiled to the camera..
And she smiled to the camera..

typical clothes for old women in some traditional families
Making a livingMaking a living
Making a living

In some small room, they were singing and working...


Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0638s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb