CAPPADOCIA


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Central Anatolia » Cappadocia » Göreme
August 23rd 2011
Published: September 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Well after a quick and quiet overnight in Antalya it was back to Cappadocia where we first started our Turkey adventure. This was good as we were not in Cappadocia very long the first time and did not get to enjoy the wonderful sights and experiences it had to offer. As some background, Cappadocia is famed for its underground cities (created by the early christians when escaping Roman persecution), houses carved into rock, fairy chimnies (wierd rock formations created by the elements), and pottery.

We were somewhat excited about returning, mainly because we knew we had three nights in one location, which is always welcome, and also because we knew we were staying in a very nice hotel with great food. Also the temperature does drop to the low twenties which was also welcome. Upon arriving we knew we had to get an early night as the following morning was a 4am wake up to go on our hot air balloon ride out of Goreme. This is one of the trade mark tourist attractions in Cappadocia and a must for anyone visiting the area. We definitely found out why.

Not surprisingly Goreme was very busy at 5am as the numerous balloon companies redied themselves for the sunrise flight. We gathered at our chosen companies offices to have a bite to eat and some hot drinks (Kelly and I actually had to open our bag of winter clothes because it was so cold). We were then hearded into mimbuses for the transit out to the departure points. What we saw had us amazed. Literally dozens of balloons being inflated and hundreds of tourists exiting the buses. You would be surprised by the size of the baskets as each balloon takes up 25 people at a time. After a few snap shots of other balloons taking to the air it was our turn to bundle in and hit the skys. The view of so many balloons in the air at sunrise over such an alien landscape (and it really is just that) was astounding. We lifted off with suck weightlesness, and you didn't even notice how fast you were ascending. We had amazing 360 degree views accross the entire Cappadocian landscape. There is very little control of which direction you travel in, as the captain controls altitude and uses solely the wind for horizontal travel. We ascended to approximately 2000 metres, which doesn't sound like much but definitely is when you are only held by a basket and some hot air. We drifted over Goreme before coming down to ground level to drfit through pigeon vally (a rock valley with pigeon houses carved into the walls). It was then back to the skies to sail over the country side. It was at this point that we realised there was no predetermined landing site and that we were constantly being chased by the ground crew in a 4WD. Before identifying a suitable landing site we saw a fox out for a morning hunt over the moon like landscape, and before we knew it we were using an apple tree to brace our landing. The whole morning was topped of with a breakfast glass of champers.

It felt like we had already been out for a full days worth of touring once we returned to our hotel, however it was only 8am. We were allowed to have the rest of the morning to ourselves before an afternoon start. Next on the list was the underground city of Kaymakli, only 200m from our hotel. This was truely amazing, it went 8 stories underground and was carved with much skill. They created wine press rooms, dining rooms, a multitude of living quarters, and large kitchen facilities. Those early christians must have been midgets though as I was almost at a leopard crawl to get through some of the gaps. What a great experience. Next on our list was a pottery studio, a one man band really working out of his house. Such a skilled tradeperson. He put on a demo for us and it was incredible what he could create with suck ease and in no time at all. Kelly even gave it a blast much to Mine, Georginas, and Kristies amusement, and her own to be honest. At the beginning none of us really wanted to go to the pottery studio and had thought of flagging it in favour of an early arrival back at the hotel, however we are glad we went and even made a couple of sizable purchase, soon to be on display at 11 Turi Ave.

After such an early morning we were glad to get back and knew we had another busy day ahead. We woke at a reasonable hour ready for an hour drive to Ilhara Wally (a small joke at our guides expense as he could not grasp the letter V). This is a natural valley the stretches for 18km with sheer cliffs on either side. There are also a number of residences and churches carved into the cliffs that make a wonderful back drop to the green of the valley floor. We trekked a 4km portion of the valley and it was very nice, especially with a river running gently next to us. We were even able to stop for tea at a small cafe half way along the trek where the tables were set in the middle of the river. Although this was beautiful I felt it was again slightly played up and overexagerrated by our one eyed guide. He obviously has no idea what NZ has to offer as he thought this was the peak of untouched natural beauty. I did not have the heart to tell him that some NZers have this in their back yard.

Anyway it was nice to get some excersise and stretch the legs. We were then off to the fairy chimnies and the open air museum. The extent of the buildings built into the rock are really amazing. Our last Cappadocia adventure was a Turkish show night. Although we were all very tired we were definitley keen to see some dancing, especially the famous Whirling Dervishes. The Whirling Dervishes are religious men who worship God by spinning in white dresses for hours on end, apparently they enter some form of trance state. Luckily for us this part of the show was on 15 mins long, not being disrespectful as it is very impressive, it is only that it is quite repetitive. The night included a vast array of Turkish folk lore dances from all over Anatolia, and finished off with a belly dancer that dropped from the ceiling. The night included as much free drink as you wanted, and I know many of you are hoping that I indulged a great deal, however one strong Raki was plenty and we both ended up sticking to the vino. Then it was time for bed.

However beautiful Cappadocia was we were ready to heap back to Istanbul, however only one thing was in our way.............. a gruelling 12 hour drive, best get some sleep.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

CappadociaCappadocia
Cappadocia

Glass of bubbly at the end of our balloon ride.
Pottery centrePottery centre
Pottery centre

Kelly learning how to create a master piece.
Pottery centrePottery centre
Pottery centre

Obviously not doing so well.


Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb