Blue water, Sun and smiley people


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Aegean » Fethiye
September 11th 2008
Published: October 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

OK, a little late, but thought I might bring you up to date on more of that Turkey trip in 2008 (oops)!!

After the dry inland of Cappadocia it was off for a little coastal adventure of a 4 day trip on a Turkish Gulet. First was south on an overnight bus to Olympos (not something I'll repeat if I can help it!). Olympos is not only an ancient site, but also a rocky beach overlooking the blue and green waters of the Mediterranean which we used to stop and find a boat to get us from Demre to Fetiye along the coast. We also had a side trip up the hill to see the famous Chimeras, pockets of natural gas alight on a hill. My advice, take a cold drink for the top - a km or so up hill to check out a heap of gas BBQs, hooooooottttt!

Boatwise we were pretty lucky, considering we were at the tail end of the season, but managed to squeeze onto a boat which was only slightly overloaded! We got even luckier as 4 English on the boat decided it wasn't 'fancy' enough and jumped ship after the first night - this left the 5 of us and 2 couples, Danny & Eva (aussie from London) and Paul and Rachel (english from St Helens way) who proved to be heaps of fun! Couldn't have asked for a nicer bunch of people to spend 4 nights eating, drinking, swimming and tripping around with.

In four days we made it from Demre to Fetiye via Simena (Byzantine Fort), Gokkaya Bay, the sunken city of Kekova, Kas (nice jewellery), Butterfly Valley (saw 3) and Oludeniz. The highlights were watching sun rise, swimming in the beautiful waters, raucous nights on board, paragliding in Oludeniz (after the truck up, no way you'd go back down that way again) and frisbees!

Never thought I'd enjoy a dodgy, mini cruise as much ... but it was amazing (all about the people!).


Additional photos below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Olympos BeachOlympos Beach
Olympos Beach

nice, but rocky beach, good for a nap


Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb