Ephesus, the ancient city


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Aegean » Ephesus
December 5th 2009
Published: March 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

There are many words one could use to describe the old city of Ephesus.

Magnificent, majestic and beautiful, even today the city remains an inspiring site.

During the period of the Roman empire, Ephesus ranked as the second largest city (behind Rome) and had a population of more than 250,000 during it’s peak (1st century BC).

When going through the ancient city you can see some of the rooms such as the toilet, library and the love room (or brothel) relatively well preserved.

The city is also the site of the Temple of Artemis, one of the seven wonders of the ancient world.

After we finish walking through the ancient city (during which we also manage to find a few pomegranate's and black berries) we go to find our ride to head back to Selcuk.

Following the ancient city we head to the museum of Ephesus (located in Selcuk a city close by were we stay the night).

It’s not big but its interesting with sculptures and statues dating back to 1AD, still well preserved.

We head to Saint John’s church but only have a brief look as its 5 lira to enter, looks big and we only have 40 minutes left. After this we head to the mosque which has a beautiful garden inside and a back entry view into the church. We grab dad on the way down, wait for lunch to cook, grab it to go as we only have 5 minutes till our bus comes and run to the bus stop.

Note: As I couldn't locate my photos for this trip I have used some of my brothers photos. They are much the same as my photos and memories from the trip. Please have a look at his blog here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



21st March 2012

Love Ephesus
Hey Dasha! Your post brings back memories in a number of ways...1) From when you were living in Amsterdam 2) From when I last saw you in Aus 2 years ago and 3) From when I was walking those grounds in Ephesus 10 years ago. Great place, great photos displayed here. Particularly like the one with you and the cat, very cute :) Anyways, cheers mate!
28th March 2012

Re Love Ephesus
Hey Alex, Thanks for sure and thanks for all the help you gave me with my blog as well. Ephesus truely was the bomb. Now I need to get back to updating my blog up to scratch once and for all!

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0189s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb