The remains of the 7th ancient wonder and some knight tales


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Aegean » Bodrum
December 6th 2009
Published: March 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Turkish PeacockTurkish PeacockTurkish Peacock

Here snipy snipy snipe
Bodrum or the ancient city of Halicarnassus, was settled in 7 BC. The ruins of the mausoleum of Mausolus, built between 353 and 350 BC, one of the seven ancient wonders can be found there. Some might consider the visit (and 8 lira entry fee - unless one chooses to sneak past ticket officer man when he isn’t looking) to be disappointing however it definitely can give you a feeling of the grandiose nature of the mausoleum.
Lunch is calamari, fish and fish kebab sticks. Yummy.
Bodrum Castle, built by the Crusaders in the 15th Century AD is also worth the visit. The castle has an interesting museum of Underwater Archeology and spectacular views of the harbor.
The pictures say it all why Bodrum is one of the more popular places in Europe and its not a wonder many a tourist flock to Bodrum particularly over summer. Its also true that Bodrum can be twice as expensive as other parts of Turkey (ie Konya), but on the plus side if your craving an English Breakfast in Turkey, then your cravings can be quenched in Bodrum.
Whilst dad and Ivan take some time out for internet and such frivolities, I head to the amphitheatre. Its closed by the time I get there but the view of the sun setting over Bodrum is definitely worth the hike up the hill through the narrow streets in Bodrum.

Note: As I couldn't locate my photos for this trip I have used some of my brothers photos. They are much the same as my photos and memories from the trip. Please have a look at his blog here.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Ruins of the Ancient MasoleumRuins of the Ancient Masoleum
Ruins of the Ancient Masoleum

One of the Seven wonders of the Ancient World


Tot: 0.373s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 18; qc: 79; dbt: 0.1139s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb