First impressions & Travel excitement


Advertisement
Qatar's flag
Middle East » Qatar » Doha
December 14th 2006
Published: December 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Like Burbank, California; Doha's "City Center" is a mall. Everything's air-conditioned and everyone drives large unnaturally clean cars. The comparison might end there. I learned that "Thobe" is the word for the men's traditional dress. "Abaya" is the women's. Service staff is imported and may speak English better than Arabic.

I made it to town without much ado, but with increased kindness toward travelers. I now realize that many of the people in airports could possibly have multiple connections, which increases the importance of the earlier flights... My optimally resolved mishaps include:

I'm now sitting in my brother's office, which is really just how it appears when we video-chat. Surreal!
Krisma stopped by to deliver tea, and I'm about to have a tour of the building...

Advertisement



14th December 2006

amazing
i'm thrilled that you're both together and having a day already in Doha, architecture, ex-pats, education campus, malls and money and all so you can catch up on lots and plot out your adventures; much love, d
15th December 2006

not a bad beginning!
Who's tea is better : Kris-ma's or grand-ma's? It all sounds awesome!
16th December 2006

Glad the "getting there" is over now so you can enjoy your brother's company. Also glad you got to miss the mess back here in Seattle (power outages everywhere). Will look forward to hearing more. Bruce starts his trek home late tonight. This ability to travel across the world is amazing. Happy adventures!
19th December 2006

Happy Holidays!
Well, despite the few small mishaps (some of which were out of your control, like the fog!!) you made it to Qatar!! Wow. I hope you and your brother have a fabulous time and I'm thrilled to read about it on your blog :) Seattlites like me are missing you this holiday, Kate!
22nd December 2006

Awesome!
It was awesome to be on the same plane. That was the best layover I have ever had. I can still remember being in Kuwait like it was yesterday. Most people probably have percieved notions about what the middle east is like. Its funny to go to the small oil rich states and see Applebees, Friday's and malls everywhere.

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb