Is there going to be another civil war?


Advertisement
Lebanon's flag
Middle East » Lebanon » Beirut
May 22nd 2007
Published: May 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

I was reading the French news today, while listening to the lebanese news on tv, and the way things are portrayed is a little different, not to say completely different.
I have been around since it all started 3 days ago, and it doesn't look like it is going to stop we all agree on that.
Every lebanese, and visitors for that matters, are holding their breath while waiting to see what the government will decide on doing in the whole situation.
The majority wants to get rid of Fatah Al-Islam once and for all, no matter what this may cause.
Palestinian refugees, whether being part of the hundreds of Fatah fighters or not will just get the exact same treatment.
What I read and hear from France is that refugees are trapped in the camp while the lebanese forces are shooting everywhere they can.
This is so not what we hear and see here. Of coursem there are some people in the refugee camps that haven't asked for any of this, but the members of the islamic group is inside the camp and uses the civilians refugges as shield. No lebanese is ready for another civil war to start over, nor wanting Israel or Syria to get involved at some point, being fed up with these terrorist groups who are ruining every year the beginning of the summer, ruining its economy while "forcing" tourists out of the country.

These bombing are purely tactical and well prepared, as they exploded both after 11pm, where only few people are around and can be hurt. But their statement is firm: we can set Beyrouth on fire if you don't stop the incursion to the Nahr el Bared camp.

" If the army continues its attacks, our fighters are ready to fight until the last drop of blood," Abu Salim Taha said to AFP

I am staying in Beyrouth though, I have started to fell in love with the country and the lebanese people and it is such a shame, such a waste.
I don't know how long I'll be around, I guess those couples of coming days will just be decisive and I'll know better what to do.
The hostel was packed until 2 days ago. 15 people out of the 23 that were there left the country the morning after because they got scared.
Syrian border has been closed by Syria up North, for more than obvious reason, the Damascus border is still open, but for how long?




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

The parking of the ABC mallThe parking of the ABC mall
The parking of the ABC mall

That's where the car full of explosives was parked and exploded end of may 2007
The apartments next door to the mallThe apartments next door to the mall
The apartments next door to the mall

The explosion killed one older woman living on that building
Second bombingSecond bombing
Second bombing

in Verdun area this time
Extremely violentExtremely violent
Extremely violent

Fortunately, there was no killed this time.
With SimonWith Simon
With Simon

We were devastated and shocked


24th June 2007

will there be another war ??
Hello Leila, Nice to find your blog. I am English living in the Lebanese mountains just outside Tripoli. I do hope this will not be the start of another war, having lived through the last one. The real Lebanese neither want nor deserve another war Let us hope that they manage to come through yet another crisis smiling and full of hospitality.
25th June 2007

Being in Palestine now
Hello, It took me some time to respond to your message, I haven't logged in for many times, still need to put up pictures also. So how is it going for you now? I hear it's not over yet. I'm so sad about what is going on there and what I witnessed which is very little compared to what you probably have seen, because I fell in love with Lebanon, very much and I hope i'll come back soon. Good luck and thanks for visiting my blog. Leila www.theworldaroundleila.com

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0265s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb